Researching about BlueMSXbox

Cospefogo

Gentlemen,

Before anything else I am not requesting roms or anything, I am just

searching for information. I am really curious about the Metal Gear games

on MSX and I wonder - Are they working fine on Xport's BlueMSXbox?

I found two IPS patches on romhacking.net to translate both games to

English and I am really inclined to give a try... but I remember to load

a Metal Gear rom two years ago (when I did buy my Xbox) and I got

nothing beyond a black screen.

Should I try again?

Is there any tips out there?

Special ROMS? (Based in ROM or DISK)

Tricks?

Thanks guys!

Cospefogo.

i just tried out both of them just now on bluemsxbox and the older msxbox.

on both emus,metal gear just kept skipping at the blus msx screen.but meat gear2 worked perfectly.oh and cospefogo both these games were released as cartridges.so when you put your roms in just push x at the game you want to play and the it will show it as a cartridge in the second menu on bluemsxbox.

metal gear2 played perfectly on msxbox as well and that emu hasnt been updated in years,there must be some change to the settings you have to do to get metal gear1 to play.

edit/the roms i tried were the cartridge version but i see you can also get a disc version,seems the disc version of metal gear1 is in 2 parts.

i got metal gear1 working,what you have to do is in the configuration menu set the machine type to "msx2+" and your good to go,i also tried this setting with metal gear2 and it worked just fine.these were both the cartridge versions of the game.

the different versions of the game out there like disc and cartridge,this is the file names of the roms i used.

metalgear1(1987)(konami)(j).msx2

metalgear2-solidsnake(1990)(ko.msx2)

are the MSX versions any different from the NES versions?

so why go through the trouble when they are emulated fine on Nes.

so why go through the trouble when they are emulated fine on Nes.

fumanchu is, unfortunately, uninformed in this matter.

Metal Gear for the NES was a dumbed down "port" done by a different team than the original with completely different maps, an altered setting, horribly worse dialogue, and a complete lack of giant robots (the Metal Gear is an evil supercomputer in this version). It is noncanonical, and Kojima was embarassed about its existence.

Snake's Revenge for the NES was a standalone game that could have been canonical (has giant robots. that's about it), but isn't officially part of the Metal Gear storyline.

Metal Gear for the MSX is the one to go for, followed immediately by its sequel, Metal Gear : Solid Snake also for the MSX. They are full of canon, Kojima-ism, and win.

Also, in MG:SS, there's a significant connection to Snatcher, so you might want to check that out sometime (I like the Sega CD version. You know, because I can read it).

In addition, Metal Gear: Ghost Babel for the gameboy color (released internationally as Metal Gear Solid because Ghost Babel was too awesome a title) is a decent entry in the series which is potentially canon, if unimportant overall.

Both MSX games are included in MGS 3: Subsistance, so if you can get a copy of that, you needn't bother with emulators.

If you still want to bother with emulators, look up RuMSX. It runs fast on a lower-end PC (I've tested it on as low as a P3-500 with no speed issues). The only problem is that you have to enter the cartidge type yourself for Metal Gear 1. It's a pulldown menu, though, so it's just a bit of trial and error.

tl;dr

Metal Gear on MSX is superior in every way.