Xbox 360 backups

The last I understood, connecting to Live with a flashed drive would get you banned. This would leave me without my DLC for Oblivion. Is this still the case, or do you actually have to be playing a game online to get caught?

I have tried my Live profile on my flashed system and played a actual game online and nothing happened. I'm not brave enough to try a burned one online though. Would be nice to know since it seems to be random on who gets caught.

Really the bannings are really speradic,i wouldnt go online with a burned game but i would download content no problem at all,dont think they are looking for people with flashed firmware when you are downloading games,but i dont think anyone really knows the system or the way they go about it.

I've been flashed and on live for a year now no ban. and all I play is backups.

it does happen but not nearly as much as people think.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I went and finally ordered a Via sata card with the proper chipset, and a stack of Verbatims. Something just dawned on me though, which I had totally forgotten for some reason - the 360 will only play games from it's own region, am I right? I know that there are a handful of games that are region free, like Ironman. Have these been made region free or were they produced like that? It's just so I know before I start sucking down 360 games from newsgroups ;)

there are a lot of games that are region free,most games by ubisoft,atari and some ea games are region free.

the games that are region free were produced like that,a good place to about pecific regions of games is play asia.

when you say have these been made region-free or produced like that,how do you mean?

publishers have the choice if they want to region-lock their games or not.thing is some games will only work on a japanese nstc 360 but yet the asiannstc version could run region free.

play asia is your best bet.im sure their is probably a list out there.

there are a lot of games that are region free,most games by ubisoft,atari and some ea games are region free.

the games that are region free were produced like that,a good place to about pecific regions of games is play asia.

when you say have these been made region-free or produced like that,how do you mean?

publishers have the choice if they want to region-lock their games or not.thing is some games will only work on a japanese nstc 360 but yet the asiannstc version could run region free.

play asia is your best bet.im sure their is probably a list out there.

Yeah, I have found a few lists, but they mostly talk about working on US or Asian 360s. As always there isn't much info for PAL people. I have found all but 1 of the games I wanted for PAL anyway. There really isn't that much I want to play anyway, maybe 6 games tops.

When I said made region free, I meant did the release group make them region free. I read that this can't be done (yet) anyway. Cheers.

most games seem to leak PAL first lately anyways. and really most of what I see is region free.

I have tried my Live profile on my flashed system and played a actual game online and nothing happened. I'm not brave enough to try a burned one online though. Would be nice to know since it seems to be random on who gets caught.

I have been reading up on this and it seems that there are a small number of people who got banned just from being on Live with a flashed drive, never having played a burned game.

Anyway, I finally got my via sata card this morning, went through the tutorial, worked like a charm. Remembering the pains I had when I softmodded my Xbox1(s), it was a piece of cake. One small issue though. I originally had a Silicon Image sata card which I used for my Asus sata DVD burner, and my main hdd, a 160GB Hitachi. I had everything switched off and disconnected, to go through the flash process, and had to remove my sata card to put in the VIA card for flashing. Once I had flashed I decided to just connect my DVD drive and hdd into the VIA sata card, instead of putting the old one back in. When I started Windows it said that the hdd was corrupted. I tried a few recovery apps I have and not one of them could do a thing. Coincidentally, this was the drive where I had my 360 'backups' stored and ready to burn. Not good. So I had the high of properly flashing the 360 crushed just minutes later when I realised I had just lost 80GB worth of games in one go. It's ok though, I did a test burn last night cause I couldn't wait, and it works. At least my burner/media are good to go.

tl;dr - 360 waffle

I have been reading up on this and it seems that there are a small number of people who got banned just from being on Live with a flashed drive, never having played a burned game.

I was worried about that but it doesn't seem like they can tell.

I've tried it twice now on 2 different flashed 360's and no ban. :P