an Imaginary western jRPG's soundtrack

basilbr

So I was just listening to a couple of songs from newish band Metronomy's album Pip Paine (particularly Black Eye Burnt thumb), and it reminded me of some of the soundtracks from jRPGs on the SNES. Anyway between that song and some of the stuff I remember off of Mercury Rev's Deserters Songs album, was wondering if anyone had suggestions for music (western preferably) that wouldn't sound out of place in that style of RPG.

Perhaps we could put together a "1emu's imaginary RPG's soundtrack" type of compilation.

See, the thing with Fatal is, he never really suggests anything, just gets up there and says "nice job."

I'd suggest checking out Funeral Songs. Great CD filled with some slow, almost ambiant songs that put forth a very good creepy vibe. I've used it when I've played D&D to express my storytelling isolations.

Well, let's see... jRPGs are getting pretty imaginative for content, so I'll list some for more out there titles and scenarios.

Just about anything from Arjen Lucassen's bands Ayreon, Ambeon, and Star One. 6 of the 7 Ayreon albums tell a spanning rock opera detailing the end of the world, the struggle to save it, and the destiny of a race of aliens from Planet Y. It's all related.

Some Machinae Supremacy (machinaesupremacy.com for lots of freebies) would be awesome, especially Fury, Ninja, Ronin, I Know the Reaper, Rogue World Asylum, Through the Looking Glass, Reanimator, Ghost, Rise, Steve's Quest, Multiball, Anthem Apocalyptica, Origin, Masquerade, Winterstorm, Loot Burn Rape Kill Repeat, and the Sidology series.

And that's just a sample of their awesome.

YES's Tales From Topographic Oceans album

Emerson Lake, and Palmer's Karnevil 9 (45 minutes of awesome)

Blue Oyster Cult's complete Imaginos (their manager may have wrote it, but they wouldn't have played it if it didn't kick ass), Me-262, Flaming Telepaths, Veteran of the Psychic Wars, Subhuman, and just for the most sinister of villain themes, Harvester of Eyes.

Golden Earring's The Twilight Zone (I think they did it)

Weird Al Yankovich's I Think I'm a Clone Now

This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSsJ19sy3JI

And lastly, this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JczIq6sBV4k

The original song is from Sweden.

Edited by Chibi Kami

thanks for those suggestions, gonna have a listen and pick a few out, see if they can be temp hosted somewhere, then see how if anyone likes them/think they work.

-yeah chibi kami those youtube links are outta sight :/

Edited by basilbr