Google turns the lights out!

Alpha

Google users in the United States will notice today that we "turned the lights out" on the Google.com homepage as a gesture to raise awareness of a worldwide energy conservation effort called Earth Hour. As to why we don't do this permanently - it saves no energy; modern displays use the same amount of power regardless of what they display. However, you can do something to reduce the energy consumption of your home PC by joining the Climate Savers Computing Initiative.

On Saturday, March 29, 2008, Earth Hour invites people around the world to turn off their lights for one hour – from 8:00pm to 9:00pm in their local time zone. On this day, cities around the world, including Copenhagen, Chicago, Melbourne, Dubai, and Tel Aviv, will hold events to acknowledge their commitment to energy conservation.

Given our company's commitment to environmental awareness and energy efficiency, we strongly support the Earth Hour campaign, and have darkened our homepage today to help spread awareness of what we hope will be a highly successful global event.

http://www.google.com/intl/en/earthhour/

--> See it for yourself!

This probably has to be the smartest idea ever done by Google. Very creative!

Said lights and nothing else. So that's what I did, turned off all my lights while hockey was on the tube.

I turned on all 5 pc's and all lights inside and outside house. Plus I turned on all mixers and amps and plugged in all guitars at this said time. Just for the hell of it. ;)

I turned on all 5 pc's and all lights inside and outside house. Plus I turned on all mixers and amps and plugged in all guitars at this said time. Just for the hell of it. ;)

Lol, I didn't even realize it was earth hour till it was over here.