The Shoryuken aka Dragon Punch

2eyez

I dunno about that... SF has always been about a handful of iconic special moves, as opposed to the lot of weird looking ones you find in games like KoF. There is a lot you can do with Muay Thai as a style in a game... just not in Street Fighter.

I'm kind of tripping over myself saying this but giving SF characters too many moves either gives them too much control over space or makes some of their existing moves redundant.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno about that... SF has always been about a handful of iconic special moves, as opposed to the lot of weird looking ones you find in games like KoF. There is a lot you can do with Muay Thai as a style in a game... just not in Street Fighter.

I'm kind of tripping over myself saying this but giving SF characters too many moves either gives them too much control over space or makes some of their existing moves redundant.

Sure there is, just look at pre-venom-strike-whore-2003 King. Her Muai Thay is simply astounding.

I'm looking at SF3, and I'm seeing characters more than just 3 moves. And it's great, they bring some more variety and personality to a character. And if both characters have more control over the battlefield, it makes it all the more exciting and fun, don't you think? 3 moves just seems like such a half measure to me...

Yet they gave Ryu a side kick in SF3 to expand his (marvelous) 2 moveset.

A few moves is all you need, because it's very likely you'll be using those 3-4 moves as you base over and over unlike in other games.

I cant stand the dragon punch after its been whored from nearly every fighting game ever made. (I HATE ROY!!)

I also hated what the vs series did to it... (Hit, then fly 34 feet in the air?)

I only like shoryukens on sf movies now, they seem to keep its original intensity. I'll give it to alpha and turbo as well...

A few moves is all you need, because it's very likely you'll be using those 3-4 moves as you base over and over unlike in other games.

and I love the side kick!!

and I love the side kick!!

yeah but in the end there's only so many tactics you can devise with such a limited moveset. not to mention the boredom that installs itself after a while... a fight has to be beautiful and artistic. if fighting like in SF would happen in real life, you'd think Ryu would simply stick to his 4 moves? nope, because as you train, you evolve your capabilities, refine your style. he'd be able to throw aerial hadoukens from his feet and do downward shoryukens after a while. seeing him whoring the same 3 moves over and over and over again makes you feel like he's just a carbon copy, albeit better looking of his older game counter parts. just an example, mind you, there's other characters with similar conditions "guile T_T has 2..., even Charlie had 3..."

shoryuken was the move back in SFII, the triple or quad dragon punch could easily take 3 quarters of your life and Ken's was the best, besides being powerful, invincible and anti air, it also had a cool horizontal reach

yeah but in the end there's only so many tactics you can devise with such a limited moveset. not to mention the boredom that installs itself after a while... a fight has to be beautiful and artistic. if fighting like in SF would happen in real life, you'd think Ryu would simply stick to his 4 moves? nope, because as you train, you evolve your capabilities, refine your style. he'd be able to throw aerial hadoukens from his feet and do downward shoryukens after a while. seeing him whoring the same 3 moves over and over and over again makes you feel like he's just a carbon copy, albeit better looking of his older game counter parts. just an example, mind you, there's other characters with similar conditions "guile T_T has 2..., even Charlie had 3..."
It's why theres throwing and special normals :shootem: