The Shoryuken aka Dragon Punch

2eyez

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the Goutetsu style of Ansatsuken, the Shoryuken was intended to kill anyone in one stroke. However in the Ansatsuken style of Gouken (the mentor of Street Fighter's main character Ryu), the Shoryuken was meant to bring defeat in one move, even without the Shoryuken's "initial killing touch" (hence its original billing as a "sure killing technique"). It is colloquially referred to as the "Dragon Punch".

Up until Super Street Fighter II Turbo, the Shoryuken was invincible all the way up, and was only vulnerable on the way down. Since then, the properties of the Shoryuken have differed from game to game, but most of them have substantial invincibility at the very beginning of the move.

They removed it in SF3 series for the most part. No more invincibility on the way up.

Back in ST, it was THE move to use against fireballers.

Tiger Uppercut is similar to Ken and Ryu's Shoryuken/Dragon Punch. Tiger blow had low priority against Shoryuken, but the priorities of Tiger Blow and Shoryuken were equaled in Alpha 3. Sagat's attacks do much more damage than Ryu or Ken. Sagat's supermoves such as "Tiger Genocide" have great priority.

The crush is just faster- the Tiger Blow still wins out in juggling and damage.

You can follow it up with a Tiger Shot / Cannon, roundhouse, or, if in the corner, another whole Tiger Blow.

Would that work against smaller characters? Considering their sprite gets out of Tiger Blow faster? I don't know really, I just prefer the Crush for the visual style of it. Combat has to be beautiful too, you know. And on that note, who's with me in agreeing that Sagat needs new moves?

In Alpha3 the HP Tiger Blow juggles all the time on everyone. If the game didn't have its own cap, you could keep could ad infinitum. The Crush is good for covering ground insanely quickly though.

Sagat is my favourite SF character and it would be nice to see some new moves but he doesn't really need any. He has enough to deal with every range quite well.

I'm just saying that, from an artistic point of view, he's very dated. 2 Tiger blows, Tiger Uppercut and Tiger Crush. and that's it. I mean, same goes for Guile, he's in an even worse boat. If I'd make a fighting game, I'd have each and every character with at least 5 specials.