Overall Post Quality Seems Down

Wizard

It's might as well be just me, but day after day. I keep seeing threads and some of them are old and some of them try too hard due to a few posters (like one telling them to go into more detail and another to simply just post. You know who you are). This been bugging me for the longest time. But I feel the overall post quality of the forum has died down. Now I don't know the cause mind you, but it certainly feels like that.

Now I'm probably along with the certain group(s) that has contributed to this overall quality drop. I don't post alot of topics anymore, I pretty much spam in threads with mostly useless insight and while Fatal runs rampemt with bringing in new users and still calls me Ian (seriously, don't use my name dude. Sakon change my name to ohwiznuki while your at it :V), you'd think the quality of posts would of changed. Now I'm not saying the most recent users are the cause as well, they've put the effort into it (Belthasar is doing a great job here if I say so myself :( while I'm starting to doubt Reaper as a quality poster, although the man is full of QUALITY, nothing bad to say about Kitten, I like Kitten, alot, although this is probably because she's also Montrealer and as a Montrealer we're full of pride and everything. MONTREAL REPRESENT! F TORONTO! Screw those Leafs and their Mats Sundin and Toronto Raptors!), but it seems to most of us classic guys, we simply aren't putting a huge effort into posts (beyond Fatal once again, he really tries, but it never really seems to click with the rest of us without a little push and shove). This is taking an effort to post also :(

Emsley even brought it up in a way with his "Man you guys suck at starting topics that rule." thread over in spam. Now while that's spam, he did raise a point, maybe we aren't taking alot of risks jumping over the gap and into the fire. Maybe because of the advent of the spam forum, potentional threads are being overlooked by the >100 posters. I don't know, maybe we just have to do SOMETHING that isn't a rip off (lol1emuawards, yeah I'll get to doing it by this friday), boring (our illfated radioshows, I seriously had hopes we'd do something bi- or tri-weekly with this, but the effort doesn't seem there, beyond the fact that we are all "DOWN" for it) or timespace-reality-causality breaking cosmic event.

But the most imporant part of this topic is this.

I think our emotes suck. There I said it! OUR EMOTES SUCK!

edit: My poll broke.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and I agree with you wholeheartedly. I think that what we should do is really think twice whether or not a thread should be in The Lounge/some other forum vs. SPAM, and I mean think really hard. Also, lie Wiz said, take a gamble. Admins and mods make the final call, and move threads if we deem it necessary. Of course, you can always disagree and should you raise valid point(s) that a particular thread shouldn't have been moved, then we move it back.

P.S. Our emoticons indeed do suck.

Anyone feel less motivated to start new discussions due to the nonsensical drudgery of responses they're likely to elicit from the new SPAM crowd?

There's been news about Dissidia, Lost Odyssey, that Silent Hill arcade game... in the past I would have made up threads about them but now I just cbf. I figure it would either turn out to be a slinging match or have at least 3 posts consisting of 'lawllz' and wonder what's the point. The feeling I get now is the frequent posters at the moment only want to discuss inane things and express ideas that take fractions of seconds to form.

What can you do about that? Short of closing the SPAM forum altogether I couldn't tell you. Unless we wanted to institute some sort of eugenics program at 1emu.

Anyone feel less motivated to start new discussions due to the nonsensical drudgery of responses they're likely to elicit from the new SPAM crowd?

There's been news about Dissidia, Lost Odyssey, that Silent Hill arcade game... in the past I would have made up threads about them but now I just cbf. I figure it would either turn out to be a slinging match or have at least 3 posts consisting of 'lawllz' and wonder what's the point. The feeling I get now is the frequent posters at the moment only want to discuss inane things and express ideas that take fractions of seconds to form.

What can you do about that? Short of closing the SPAM forum altogether I couldn't tell you. Unless we wanted to institute some sort of eugenics program at 1emu.

I'm not blaming it on SPAM outright (if I did, I'd say it outright). I'm with the news band wagon with you (Hell we probably have the same sources), I simply don't post them because of what you said. Gone are the days when someone would actually type up a meaningful, constructive post on the topic. Ironically, the only ones discussing this far are us staff. Makes you think if I should of posted this elsewhere XD
emot-downsbravo.gif

(my quality response)

EVEN THAT'S COOLER THEN OUR EMOTES!

I remember when we would discuss actual news topics and have serious-ish discussions.

I'd love to post and talk about the Benazir Bhutto assassination and the ramifications on Pakistani stability but that thread wouldn't go anywhere. I started one about Wii remotes and sensor bars tech being used for some awesome homebrew tech and that didn't go anywhere. I don't know anymore. The forum members define the type of discussions that go on and what they want to talk about. It's nothing we can force.

I don't blame spam though. That place has always been a haven of crap.

But yeah, about emotes. If you find some good ones just send them over to me and I'll install them. I'll scour SA and find their truly lol ones.

I'd have more to say, if more people had better topic in which I could relate to. Like, with all that computer jargon. I don't know that half you people are saying, I am not all that computer file literate. As far as games go, I am Meh...I play games and stuff, but when you talk about games, it's about things I don't know about. Shoot me for being a girl and not knowing all the games you guys are talking about. I don't play a lot of street fighter, mostly because I suck at it, and same with SNK VS Capcom, or what ever it is....I suck at those games.

I am okay at some shooter games. I suck at UT, but I was mad good at CS. I am only bad at UT because I've only played it a few times. Then some of the games I am good at....there isn't much to be said about them. So, excuse me for not really having that great of an input in most categories as all the rest of you. I am trying, and so what if I say the occasional stupid comment. That's what I do. I say stupid crap. Of course, I try to cut it down...but whatever. I am trying though, I just want to fit it. I don't want to be seen as some stupid chick who doesn't know what she's talking about.

But I am trying.

I asked a few other people that post at other forums why they do not post here, they said it's either "to dead" "boring topics" "no one posts about anything interesting" and such...

What can we do to rectify the situation? I think having women on board really helps, breathes new life into a male dominated nerd fest and adds a lot of different view points to the forum. But that can only go so far, the emulation scene is at an all time low, the site seems to basic/censored from what I have herd to really entice someone to post often and become a regular member.

Though I like the lounge section of this place because of its uncategorized topics, it also lends to the wavering post quality because of that very reason. We don't talk about anything of particular shared interest. Some topics are interesting, but coupled with our low numbers and gradual disinterest in old threads over time, it becomes like this.

Edited by veristic

The point of the Lounge is that it is a place for uncatergorized topics. I don't like forums that have categories for everything. At least it's not really important at our size. However, such a system would not be effective in a place like SA so separation per topic is very important.