Music review: Eat Me, Drink Me - Marilyn Manson

L.S.D

Since our reviews section is for games only, I think I'll post it here :)

Album: Eat Me, Drink Me

Artist: Marilyn Manson

200px-LARGE_eat_me_drink_me_cover.jpg

Track listing:

1. "If I Was Your Vampire" – 5:56

2. "Putting Holes in Happiness" – 4:31

3. "The Red Carpet Grave" – 4:05

4. "They Said That Hell's Not Hot" – 4:17

5. "Just a Car Crash Away" – 4:55

6. "Heart-Shaped Glasses (When the Heart Guides the Hand)" – 5:05

7. "Evidence" – 5:19

8. "Are You the Rabbit?" – 4:14

9. "Mutilation is the Most Sincere Form of Flattery" – 3:52

10. "You and Me and the Devil Makes 3" – 4:24

11. "Eat Me, Drink Me" – 5:40

12. "Heart-Shaped Glasses (When the Heart Guides the Hand)" (Inhuman Remix by Jade E Puget) (International Bonus Track) – 4:07

How to begin? Quite nervous writing my first album review :P

I have been a Marilyn Manson fan for some years now. I was first intrigued by the artist (and band)

while watching Spawn. The song "Long Hard Road Out of Hell" really catch my attention. Making a search

on the Net and I found the music video for the song and holy hell! WHat is a naked man without a male organ

doing in the music video?!? You can say that the shock and the curiosity make me hooked and find out

more about this guy/band. This lead me to Antichrist Superstar album, my all time favourite (and I think,

his most recognised album). Since then, I have collect most of their albums that is not remixed (I still

need to find Mechanical Animals CD even though I have the cassette).

Now, let us get back to this album. THe first time I listen to the album, I was like "WTF?!?" Is this really a

Manson's album? It is too mellow! And there is even a ditzy dance beat song in the end?!? Man, i can tell

you I was a little put off and disappointed at first and was ready to ridicule this album. Then, i remember

that Manson is a very good songwriter so I decided to take another listen while looking at the lyrics (kinda

hard for me to catch the lyrics at first hearing). After additional rounds of listening, I come to one

conclusion...............read on.

Marilyn Manson's albums have always follow a trend in them; it always come with a certain theme. In

his first album "Potrait of An American Family", the theme seems to be centred around violence in America

and with younger generations. In "Antichrist Superstar", you guess it; anti-Christ theme. In Mechanical

Animals, it is drug abuse. In Holywood, it is violence and guns. So, the latest album also follow the

trend here. The theme this time is about his failed marriages and picking up the pieces (successfully/

unsuccessfully). Uh-oh, sound like the cue for those cheesy pop/love songs where they sang about heartbreak

stuff. Thankfully, it is not your average cheesy pop/love songs. Manson always use methaphor for his songs

and it is no exception here. it is actually quite hard to grasp the message he tried to convey here.

Some stuffs are pretty easy (e.g. Heart Shaped Glass) but some songs (e.g If I was your vampire) would

leave you pondering. Try below lyrics for size; I have seen numerous intepretation for it on the Net :D

"6 A.M., Chrismas morning

No shadows, no reflections here

Lie cheek to cheek in your cold embrace

So soft and so tragic as a slaughter house

She press the knife against your heart

Say that I love you

So much you must kill me now

I love you

So much you must kill me now

If I was your vampire

Soon as the moon says it's killing time

We'll have each other till the sun

If I was your vampire

Death waits for no one

Oh, my hands across your face

And to think our time has come"

Another surprise is that none of the old band members are in the album! What the hell happened to

Twiggy Ramirez & Madonna Wayne Gacy, longtime band members in the band?? Instead, Manson collaborated

with TIm Skold to produce the album, hence a shift in his music direction. Most of the songs here still

feature Manson's haunting voice but in term of music, you could sense that Manson is more mellow

and not as hard rocking ala Antichrist Superstar era. In fact, the "fastest" song in the album

Heart Shaped Glass was remixed into a dance beat at the end. Manson also claim this is a concept album

and he is trying some fresh ideas. Most of the songs are slow, mellow but still retain the haunting

menacing voice of Manson. And the more you listen to the songs, the more you will be hooked. I really

enjoy the album now. It takes a few listening but once it get to you, you will praise Manson like a

genius he is.

Some Manson's fans will be turn off by this album for sure. Where's the anti-God theme? Where are those

hard rocking from Antichrist? (Yes, a lot of fans still stuck at the Antichrist era). Me? I appreciate

the album now for the really good music that has been put out by Manson.

If you want to try listening to this album, i would recommend trying these songs:

Heart Shaped Glass

If I was your vampire

Putting Holes in happiness

The red carpet grave

They said Hell's not hot

You and Me and Devil make 3.

Rating: 4/5 (a very decent "concept" album from Marilyn Manson)

P/S: Check out his hot girlfriend, Evan Rachel Woods in the music video, Heart Shaped Glass.

Manson, you paedophile! :D

I'm stuck in the Antichrist era, but Golden Age a few years ago was an excellent Manson album. I'm still busy listening to Radiohead, but I'll give this LP a go afterwards.

Nice review there L.S.D.

I do like the album but is defiantly like a 180 in direction that he went from others.

My favorite album in Antichrist Superstar then Smells Like Children. Got to see him live last year was a great show.

Man... I wish I could've gone to see Manson and Slayer in Chicago over the summer... :)

Man Mooney what did you have to do that was more important then a Slayer show? I almost went to that show but didn't like the idea of the drive there and back...anyway I seen Slayer already at the beginning of the year. They had Unearth as the opening act one hell of a show. Slayer concerts are the best.

Man... I wish I could've gone to see Manson and Slayer in Chicago over the summer... :)

Man Mooney what did you have to do that was more important then a Slayer show? I almost went to that show but didn't like the idea of the drive there and back...anyway I seen Slayer already at the beginning of the year. They had Unearth as the opening act one hell of a show. Slayer concerts are the best.

I was being held against my will at a lake front resort in northern WI for a vacation with my mom's side of the family. It just HAD to be the week of Ozzfest and the Slayer/Manson show... :P

me either, but to be honest i haven't really given any of his albums a complete listen through, theres a couple songs that i have heard that i really liked, and some that where really dumb.

I think i'll get this one and listen to it, maybe download the other ones too. I've been looking for something new to listen to.