Which graphics card is better?

Ahmad89

NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT or NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT. I was looking at nvidia's site and it seemed more like the 7600 was better than the 8500. http://www.nvidia.com/object/graphics_cards_buy_now.html. Even though you would think the higher the number the better :o .

What would you guys recommend. If thier are better ones let me know. I am willing to pay for one under 100$. Perfurably around 70$. :). I would also like if it can connect to my tv so i can use my tv as a screen. :)

I go ATi myself, but that's not the point here (I won't get into why I haven't used NvIdia since my TNT2, but suffice it to say a GF4 turned me)

I wouldn't go with either of those cards. But if you HAD to, I would say the 8500 GT. Why, you ask?

1: Futureproof (To what point PC hardware can be) as it's got DirectX 10 support, the 7600 GT does not.

2: HDR (If you even care for it, I don't) is 128bit, versus the 7600's 64.

3: Slightly cheaper on average (Though we're talking like a $10 difference)

Now why would I not get either? Because you can get an 8600 GT for pretty much the same price as a 7600 GT, maybe $10-$20 more, and within your $100 price range if you Ebay.

The 8600 GT/GTS not only have the first 2 reasons I said over the 7600 GT, they're faster, sport better memory (GDDR3 versus GDDR2) and you won't be regretting your purchase in 6 months when a game comes out that would put that 7600 GT to shame over having purchased an 8600 GT for a mere $10-$20 more, you'll be wanting to spend $100 again.

Oh and I don't know of a video card from NvIdia or ATi in the last 3 years that doesn't sport TV-Out.

Do you think ATi would be better than a 8600 GT/GTS at about the same price. Also whats the difference between GT and GTS. GTS is more expensive i know that but is thier something alot better to make it 100$ more. How long would a 8600GT not GTS (b/c they are more expensive) last me.

No way.

ATI = bad drivers

Fanboy, theres a reason NvIdia releases so many updates so often, and why patches state so many bugs with NvIdia cards. I'm not going to fanboy it up with you, but ATi is FAR better in the driver department than NvIdia has EVER been since the release of the first Radeon. ATi pre Radeon I'll admit they were bad with their drivers. Their crappy replacement for the Control Panel needs to go though, it works like crap. (The Catalyst Control Center). If you have driver problems, like most who do, it's probably thanks to your crappy VIA chipset based motherboard.

Hardware wise, it's nothing more than $ as far as I'm concerned. If drivers weren't something to look at, It'd be a toss up of whoever was throwing out the best for less. It's just trench warfare to grab whoevers money they can anyway. If it wasn't for the fact that I think Crossfire is a better implementation than SLI (I don't like the idea of MUST HAVE 2 IDENTICAL SLI CAPABLE cards in my system, not to mention it's not as feature rich) I'd have probably gone with NvIdia this time around. But for the fact I was going AMD, with a chipset designed inhouse with ATi, with direct support for everything I wanted PROPERLY, ATi was a no brainer.

Hell my southbridge gets driver updates with my video card now.

Anyway, if you want NvIdia, get NvIdia! I have no reason to tell you otherwise, it's personal preference.

ATI rocks the sh it out of Nivida.

Had both and the top of the line in both all I got to say I build them and most my customers want the ATI.

Is thier a site that you guys would recommend to buy the 8600GT or the 8500GT. Circuit city has some good deals some of the time but are thier better sites.

Either newegg or Frys electronis or ZipZoomFLy. I buy of my stuff off them 3 sites or Ebay.

Edited by Jitway

No way.

ATI = bad drivers

Fanboy, theres a reason NvIdia releases so many updates so often, and why patches state so many bugs with NvIdia cards. I'm not going to fanboy it up with you, but ATi is FAR better in the driver department than NvIdia has EVER been since the release of the first Radeon. ATi pre Radeon I'll admit they were bad with their drivers. Their crappy replacement for the Control Panel needs to go though, it works like crap. (The Catalyst Control Center). If you have driver problems, like most who do, it's probably thanks to your crappy VIA chipset based motherboard.

Hardware wise, it's nothing more than $ as far as I'm concerned. If drivers weren't something to look at, It'd be a toss up of whoever was throwing out the best for less. It's just trench warfare to grab whoevers money they can anyway. If it wasn't for the fact that I think Crossfire is a better implementation than SLI (I don't like the idea of MUST HAVE 2 IDENTICAL SLI CAPABLE cards in my system, not to mention it's not as feature rich) I'd have probably gone with NvIdia this time around. But for the fact I was going AMD, with a chipset designed inhouse with ATi, with direct support for everything I wanted PROPERLY, ATi was a no brainer.

Hell my southbridge gets driver updates with my video card now.

Anyway, if you want NvIdia, get NvIdia! I have no reason to tell you otherwise, it's personal preference.

Also, if you don't like ATi's official drives, you don't have to use them. There are alternatives which are far better than the official Catalysts.