Why does music suck these days?

Alpha

I know I made a thread about this last year. I started thinking while I was driving to the grocery store and noticed that all the radio stations I listen to are playing songs from 10-30 years ago. So I decided to flip to more current stations and I couldn't stand listening to the crap. For example, the last few CD's from Madonna have all been using electronic sounds and no real instruments. And what is up with this punk rock? Sounds like a bunch of retards screaming from a pubescant voice. The rap and hip hop nowadays are nothing to what they use to be in the late 80's.

End of rambling.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Reason = Pop music is designed to be palatable to the largest number of people, if not particularly pleasing to the individual. The only reason this wasn't the case in previous times was that the medium of popular music was still finding its roots. Thus, people were more open to enjoying out-there things because the medium itself was a new thrill.

Btw, I love electronic music of all varieties.. don't write it off because Madonna is a drugged out useless slut.

No arguments there. From my viewpoint, I feel I have the knowledge to openly insult modern "punk rock". It's a bunch of little bitches complaining that their parents didn't feed them enough or some crap . And if the "music" you found in rap music these days wasn't repulsive enough, it's all about being a thug. Hos and coke, the lot of it. Not that I'm against cocaine, but there's a limit to how many different songs you can write about the stuff.

Reason = Pop music is designed to be palatable to the largest number of people, if not particularly pleasing to the individual. The only reason this wasn't the case in previous times was that the medium of popular music was still finding its roots. Thus, people were more open to enjoying out-there things because the medium itself was a new thrill.

Btw, I love electronic music of all varieties.. don't write it off because Madonna is a drugged out useless slut.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of electronic music as well. Especially songs made via Synthesizers in the 80's. However, I don't like these singers who make songs that have not one true instrument in it. Sure, it sounded great in the 80's -- but now we're just overkilling it. Maybe it's the type of electronic music we use these days that I simply don't enjoy listening to. I even went through a techno/dance phase in 2002, but now I just can't stand listening to it anymore. IT ALL SOUNDS THE SAME!

No arguments there. From my viewpoint, I feel I have the knowledge to openly insult modern "punk rock". It's a bunch of little bitches complaining that their parents didn't feed them enough or some crap . And if the "music" you found in rap music these days wasn't repulsive enough, it's all about being a thug. Hos and coke, the lot of it. Not that I'm against cocaine, but there's a limit to how many different songs you can write about the stuff.

Apparently not- niggaz talking about how badass their lifestyles are seems never to get old. Judging from how much of the sh.t we get in Australia, I imagine there's 10 times more of the stuff produced in the States, and that is both scary and apaling at the same time.

Just some funny lyrics from that genre, which I hate, by the way...

Ghetto boots with the pimped out Gucci suit,

Ain't got no job but I stay shine.

Can't pay my rent, cause all my money spent,

but dat's okay cause I'm still fly!

Got a quarter tank of gas in my new E-Class,

but dat's alright 'cause I'm gon' ride!

Got everything in my momma name,

but I'm Hood-Rich, da na da na!

I wonder if any of those visionaries every thought that in the 21st century being illiterate, unemployed, broke and still leaching off parents would be cool. Somehow doubt it.

Not against cocaine? That drug ages the hell out of you. Look at the before and after pictures of Jean Claude Van Damme, Whitney Houston, or any other celebrity for that matter who has inflicted themselves with that garbage.

If you want to find good hip hop music, you have to look past the mainstream artists and search or ask for hip hop artists that aren't featured in the mainstream due to their music. Mainstream rap today isn't even an element of hip hop anymore in my opinion.

Not against cocaine? That drug ages the hell out of you. Look at the before and after pictures of Jean Claude Van Damme, Whitney Houston, or any other celebrity for that matter who has inflicted themselves with that garbage.

Yeah, well, I ain't using it, and I'm not telling anyone else to use it. I still believe it's a person's choice, even if it kills them. The argument could be (and has been) made that drugs saturating popular music influences people into using them and indirectly causes death, though.

If you want to find good hip hop music, you have to look past the mainstream artists and search or ask for hip hop artists that aren't featured in the mainstream due to their music. Mainstream rap today isn't even an element of hip hop anymore in my opinion.

So basically you're saying that music DOES suck these days. Am I not correct? :P

So basically you're saying that music DOES suck these days. Am I not correct? :P

Most of the time it does, but that's just my opinion.

Most of the time it does, but that's just my opinion.

It's obviously not just your opinion, as I don't think anyone in the thread has disagreed yet, though it certainly an opinion.