China to Force Rain Ahead of Olympics

Alpha

BEIJING -- Chance of showers during the 2008 Beijing Olympics: 50 percent. But Chinese meteorologists have a plan to bring sunshine. The meteorologists say they can force rain in the days before the Olympics, through a process known as cloud-seeding, to clean the air and ensure clear skies. China has been tinkering with artificial rainmaking for decades, but whether it works is a matter of debate among scientists.

Technicians with the Beijing Weather Modification Office said they fired seven rocket shells containing 163 cigarette-size sticks of silver iodide over the city's skies. They claimed it provoked a chemical reaction in clouds that forced four-tenths of an inch of rain.

»» Read the full article!

This is some pretty crazy stuff. I don't condone messing with mother nature, but with all the polution in China, it's better than the athletes coughing up dirt.

You do have to have clouds before you can seed them Robert. Not that I've been to Australia recently to check on your cloud count.

Either way, I'm all for cloud seeding. Mother nature (as GC put it) is just too dangerous to move along unhindered, and cloud seeding is the start of her control. One day I hope for the earth to be a massive bio-dome.

Influencing the weather, heh? Sounds good to me!

According to a program I slightly remember on TV, too much tampering could screw up seasons and what not.

So? The closer this brings us to WEATHER CONTROL!

And Mother Nature is a woman, sweet but a wrath of anger at times.

I like her.

According to a program I slightly remember on TV, too much tampering could screw up seasons and what not.

I like her.

Well say for example you stimulate lots of rain during the winter, by the spring, when you may need them again, they may not come. It takes time for moisture to build in the air and the right currents have to be in place to transfer clouds over to a certain area.

I like her.

Well say for example you stimulate lots of rain during the winter, by the spring, when you may need them again, they may not come. It takes time for moisture to build in the air and the right currents have to be in place to transfer clouds over to a certain area.

We can just force that, too.

I like her.

Not if those clouds aren't even formed yet

I like her.

Not if those clouds aren't even formed yet

We can force the clouds to form. We're stronger than they are.