Geek

Mooney

I recently read Jon Katz's Geeks, which caused me to take a closer look at things. Lately, many people at school have referred to me as a "geek" without knowing the implications of the title. But then, that got me thinking even harder. :huh: What does it mean to be a "geek?" How do you become one? Why do you become one?

So I guess what I'm trying to say is: What is your definition of a geek, and do you consider yourself one?

Well IMO it means you:

-Spend most time on the computer or gaming

-Have no social life

-Knows many things about computers that normally not many people knows.

-No girlfriend

-Either very thin or very fat

-Hate sports

-Most of the time gets nervous.

-Play some roll games

-Play MM games, alot

-Hate most of the music that many people of their age hears (that is very popular, NSYNC in its time for example) and listen to techno or electronic or music that almost no one knows.

-Everyone laughs at them in school

-Ugly.

And no, I don't consider myself a geek.

Since Mooney told me he doesn't wear glasses...

The only possibilities could be that all he talks about is gaming and/or computer stuff. That usually turns girls off and they'll lash out at you with "Oh, you're such a geek" comment. Try to talk about entertainment (movies, tv, celebrities) or sports and you'll be good. :huh:

Well I...

-Have no social life

-No girlfriend

-Hate sports

-Hate most of the music that many people of their age hears (that is very popular, NSYNC in its time for example) and listen to techno or electronic or music that almost no one knows.

-wear glasses

So does that make me a geek?

Well I...

-Have no social life

-No girlfriend

-Hate sports

-wear glasses

So does that make me a geek?

You decide...

Definitions of geek on the Web:

* A term similar to nerd, but slightly less pejorative in tone.

teladesign.com/ma-thesis/glossary.html

* To quote from The New Hacker’s Dictionary, a computer geek is “one who eats (computer) bugs for a living. One who fulfills all the dreariest negative stereotypes about hackers: an asocial, malodorous, pasty-faced monomaniac with all the personality of a cheese grater. Cannot be used by outsiders without implied insult to all hackers. A computer geek may be either a fundamentally clueless individual or a proto-hacker in larval stage. Also called ‘turbo nerd’ or ‘turbo geek. ...

http://www.uta.edu/infosys/e_comm/terms/term_g.htm

* In computers and the Internet, a geekis a person who is inordinately dedicated to and involved with the technologyto the point of sometimes not appearing to be like the rest of us (non-geeks).Being a geek also implies a capability with the technology. Although historically,computer and Internet programming and hacking has been a male thing, thereare now many "girl geeks." The term "hacker" generally connotes competencemore strongly than "geek" does. ...

http://www.infoprovider.com/infobase/g.html

* The sort of person who would get really excited at the prospect of using a text editor on a 900 megahertz workstation to write out the definitions of technical terms.

http://www.scotsmist.co.uk/glossary_g.html

* An intellectual who is bent on a particular profession; especially within the computer feild. Social interests are deeply rooted in Sci-Fi.

http://www.cem.uvm.edu/util/html/definitions.php

* Short for computer geek, an individual with a passion for computers, to the exclusion of other normal human interests. Depending on the context, it can be used in either a derogatory or affectionate manner. Basically, geek and nerd are synonymous.

http://www.angelfire.com/anime3/internet/programming.htm

* Traditionally, someone whose fascination for technology overwhelms all other pursuits, with all the negative stereotypes this implies; in short, a NERD.

http://www.research-hosting.co.uk/data/hos...ing-terms-g.asp

Well, let's see...

-I wear glasses

-I am quite thin

-I believe that I have a somewhat active social life (not too far from an inactive social life though)

-No girlfriend

-I dislike sports

-I know many things about computers, but more about software than hardware

-I don't hate most music that everybody else likes

-I don't play "roll" games or MM games

-I'm often not satisfied with my looks, but I wouldn't go as far as calling my self fugly. I've come close though, during my worst moments

-People don't laugh at me in school (out of courtesy?)

I tihnk my geekiness comes in waves. Sometimes I feel like an ubernerd and other times quite normal.

Your only a geek if you believe so. I know plenty of people that have done, currently do, or are in favor in, and still:

1. Get more women then Mr.Playboy

2. Go out to clubs every weekend

3. Talk about more lingo around the people that usually find it weird without having an effect on them.

Your only a geek if you believe so.

QFT.

By those criterion I probably am a geek but Im not how I imagine geeks to be. Its probably more to do with how someone conducts themselves in a social environment- I dont think knowing about computers, for example, necessarily makes you a geek nor do most single items mentioned.

-I'm often not satisfied with my looks, but I wouldn't go as far as calling my self fugly. I've come close though, during my worst moments

You're a damn sexy beast with that sailor hat of yours. Not the first time I've said it. Rock on zombie!

I guess I'd qualify as a geek. Or a wannabe geek...I wish I know more about computing and hardware.

You're a damn sexy beast with that sailor hat of yours. Not the first time I've said it. Rock on zombie!

I knew that comment would pop up sooner or later. :shootem: