Yu-Gi-Oh! Life Point Tracker for the TI-83Plus

Haldrie

I thought I would post this here since the TI Graphing Calculator series has been known to have several games made for it and some models are also nearly perfectly emulated.

As this topics title states, I have designed a program for the TI-83Plus calculator that is capable of keeping track of muliple player's life points for the Yu-Gi-Oh! Trading Card game. I began working on this program back in High School and have made a few updates to it since it's original version as well as added new features and different codeing methods to try and use as little memory as possible. I originally made the program so I wouldn't have to keep guessing what my life points were every time I dueled someone and I then began to share it with others. This was only the early versions of it however as I contiued to work on it for some time after I graduated.

I learned how to program on the TI calculators by examing the program sources I fould in my Algebra book. I would experiment with the code to see what would happen and quickly saw a way to make the code for the original version of my LP tracking program. It was full of gliches and mistakes however that I soon resolved by rewriting the program to make it a bit more stable and "idiot proof" thus creating the next version. I however was the only one that knew of this program and I didn't actually own a graphing calculator of my own at the time so I would use some "spare time" in Algebra class to use the school provided calculator to test my program in. I gained enough knowledge from doing this to be able to write and review the code on paper before actually entering it into the calculator making it much easier to see problems and pick out useless code.

I soon spread the word to others once I finally made a stable version that containd an actual menu that I learned to code in thanks to a program called "dragon" that also had a menu feature. This greatly improved stability and reduce the memory usage of the program allowing it to be stored on any calculator no matter how many "Apps" were on their calculator already.

Anyway, since High School there really hasn't been anyone for me to share my latest version with so I have decided to try to share it here.

The current version needs some polishing up and I will have to hunt down the code for it again but here it the list of features that are in it (as I recall that is):

• ability to keep track of 2 (or more in other revisions) player's life points
  • simple menu for easy access to damage step calculations
  • quick review of life point lose/gain
  • special text that allows user to easily distiquish who's who
  • menu item to return to the LP display screen if skipped*

*=new to current version

Now I know Yu-Gi-Oh! isn't exactly the big thing right now and hasn't been for some time now but I just thought I'd post this for anyone that might be interested. Also, don't critisise me for this either. Most programmers don't know the first thing about prgramming on a TI calculator and I happened to pick it up faster then HTML and I don't really know how to progam in anything else. I have found this to be a very useful program myself as you don't have to know any math to be able to use it (just to be able to make it). The program is disigned to do the math for you. All you have to do is enter ATK and DEF points in the correct menus and that's it. It will deduct the correct amount of life points from whichever player is suppose to loose them.

So far I have only tested the program on the TI-83 and TI-83Plus calculators. The latest version however will not work on the TI-83 for some reason so a TI-83Plus or TI-83Plus Silver Edition is required to use it. I have not yet bother to port it to any other models as I have no way of knowing if they will work yet.

If you are interest by all means feel free to post your comments or questions. Just please be constuctive and not rude.

Sounds like you've done a good job there Haldrie, but as Drake said, I don't know of anyone who plays games on TI calculators, or even owns one. My only calculator is a Tandy one that just does sums for when I have to do my tax.

Its a great idea :rolleyes: but Yu-Gi-Oh Dies a WHILE back dude. But it is a great idea, i used to use my TI-83 by putting 8000.8 and if i lost 1200 LP i would put -1200 and it would be 6800.8 but if i took away 2300 Lp away from my opponent, i would put -.23 and it would be 6800.57

It worked pretty well back in the day since it saved paper :lol:

Edited by GoRDoOnE

Well, it's not exactly a game but more of a tool for the actual trading card game. If I could get a rom image for the TI emulator I have I might be able to recode it for newer models but for right now that's the only version I have a file for. I might consider releasing the code for those that don't have an 83Plus until I can get a rom for the other models.

[EDIT]

Its a great idea :rolleyes: but Yu-Gi-Oh Dies a WHILE back dude. But it is a great idea, i used to use my TI-83 by putting 8000.8 and if i lost 1200 LP i would put -1200 and it would be 6800.8 but if i took away 2300 Lp away from my opponent, i would put -.23 and it would be 6800.57

It worked pretty well back in the day since it saved paper :lol:

That is a nice trick.

Edited by Haldrie

Actually just like every other decent tcg yugioh is still alive and kicking. All though there still are more populer tcg's being played atm (like hero clix).

What!!! Now the comic book indistry is getting into tcgs! Sorry I hadn't hear of this until just now and did a quick google. I'm actually not into Yu-Gi-Oh! as much as I was in High School but I do have a friend that still is. I still have all of my cards though and I might go through them again one of these days if I can find other people that still play. I never was able to build me that "perfect" deck. Now I have way too many cards to be able to through in just one day.

Trying to stay more on topic, has anyone ever tried the TI emulators that are out there?

Edited by Haldrie

Trying to stay more on topic, has anyone ever tried the TI emulators that are out there?

Yes. Virtual TI is god. You need the firmware images for different calculators though.