Tales from the borked drivers crypt.

Since I'm bored I thought of just posting something I went through 15 minutes ago.

Roughly 30 minutes ago, I decided to upgrade my ATI drives to the latest 6.5 version (well, actually Omega Drivers version something or other). I should of done what I always do before tackling this kind of a task, namely search teh intarweb for posts about these new drivers and if there are any "complications" in the installation or usage.

But this time I didn't. For some reason.

So I downloaded the drivers and proceeded to install them. Halfway though the installer reposter that it cannot find a certain INI file. At this point I started to ssearch teh intarweb for answers, and found that people have had similar errors to the point where Windows would no longer boot properly.

So I though "I'll just skip this file and install the old drivers back before I reboot". So I did that and rebooted. When Windows loaded back up, I had 800x600 with 4-bits.

flock.

So I booted into safe Mode and removed the drivers and installed them again. Same thing. So then I thought "I'll just use the rollback feature that XP has to get my old drivers back". Did that, and rebooted. When Windows was about to boot up, it rebooted. (standard behavior when BSOD apears, for those who don't know).

flock.

So I boot back into Safe Mode and did a rollback to the changes. Windows won't start. Great. So I downloaded Driver Cleaner and removed all traces any ATI drivers and downloaded a year old Catalyst Driver so there really wouldn't be any problems.

I installed the Catalysts, but the installer halted because I literally had no display drivers installed. Not even the basic VGA driver. Great. So I booted the computer again, and this time installed the drivers that Windows suggests when it finds a new device. Even that didn't go without problems, as it needed files from the Catalyst set. Well I did manage to install them, and Windows once again booted just fine... Except that the Catalyst Control Center crashed automagically. No big deal, I finally had more resolutions and bit depths.

Finally I re-installed the older Omega Drivers on top of the Catalysts, and here I am.

The moral of this story: If you do any kind of software updates that can screw up Windows, at least check teh intarweb for possible solutions first. If other people have had problems with said software (regardless of the severity of the problem(s), think twice before installing.

Print screened and saved!!

Boy I love catching idiots!! Woot thanks for letting me read it robert!!

Also, agozer, in your situation... I would end up reformating... like usual lol.

Do explain what happened. I wasn't here.

Depending on what he posted, I may consider banning him for good, just out of spite. :rolleyes:

Drake: I only do reformats as a desperation move and as a last countermeasure.

Thanks drake for keeping me updated.

That was so random. 3-day post suspension for flocking up my thread like that.

Nah, just kidding. I'll be keeping an eye on him though.