Microsoft just convinced me to get Vista...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Wine.

the windows emulator for linux.

will probably be able to emulate vista or something in the future.

considering vista drains alot of power just for the gui and such, linux should be able to handle it.

i find it very hard to believe that someone won't find a way to emulate the basic processes needed to run a vista specific program, without all the bells and whistles.

and dude, i've been using wine to play xp only games, and it works pretty well.

That would be WineX....and yeah, it runs some stuff ok. Very little in the grand scheme though. With regards to "emulating" Windows (If you wish to call an API layer emulation) it doesn't do a very good job there. What you're getting with WineX, is API call interception and recompiling, nothing more.

Vista won't be any better off, infact it'll be worse off with regards to games. The next incarnation of Windows (Yes,, I'm already reading about Microsofts plans post Vista) will not be Windows as you know it......but rather UNIX with a proprietary GUI.

Anyway, enough babble. I was just stating that emulating "Windows" isn't what you're getting, and Vista is enough of a stretch. You thought you had problems running your slightly older games in XP? Just you wait.....