Poor babies!

Source

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: May 3, 2006

MPAA RELEASES DATA FROM PIRACY STUDY

Comprehensive Snapshot of Film Theft Provides

International Anti-Piracy Roadmap

Washington, D.C. - - The Motion Picture Association of America, Inc. (MPAA) today released new information about piracy from a comprehensive study done by LEK Consulting that the association is using as a roadmap to help fight piracy worldwide. The study was commissioned for use as an advocacy tool to illustrate for governments around the world the need to thwart copyright theft, which

directly impacts economies in countries from the United States to China. It provides specifics about which countries have the biggest problems with piracy, the impact on the economy, losses to industries in various countries as well as losses to the major studios, and a profile of the typical pirate. It also reflects a more complete picture of piracy because for the first time, losses due to Internet piracy are measured.

“The film industry is a thriving economic engine that generates jobs and exports in countries all over the world,” said MPAA Chairman and CEO Dan Glickman. “We are calling on governments internationally to continue to work with us in limiting the impact of piracy on local economies and the film industry. Movies are a valuable product and intellectual property must be respected. This study will help us better analyze and focus our efforts to fight movie theft.”

According to the study, MPAA studios lost $6.1 billion to piracy in 2005, which is consistent with a piracy study conducted by Smith Barney in 2003 that predicted the motion picture industry would lose $5.4 billion to piracy in 2005. Of the $6.1 billion in lost revenue to the studios, $1.3 billion came from piracy in the United States and $4.8 billion internationally, with nearly half of that loss occurring in Europe. About $2.4 billion was lost to bootlegging*, $1.4 to illegal copying* and $2.3 billion to Internet piracy*. In the U.S., illegal copying and distribution is more of a problem while internationally, illegal downloading and bootlegging is more prevalent.

The countries where movie piracy is occurring most prominently are the China, Russia, UK, France, Spain, Brazil, Italy, Poland and Mexico.

The MPAA recently provided international data from the study to the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative for use in preparing its annual report on worldwide intellectual property rights.

The average film copyright thief is male, between the ages of 16-24 and lives in an urban area. College students in the U.S., Korea and Hungary contribute the most to each country’s individual loss. The 16-24 age range represents a disproportionately high percentage of pirates, especially downloaders, across the 22 directly researched countries. It is even higher in the U.S., where the same age range represents 71% of downloaders.

“The findings in this study reinforce the need for a multi-pronged approach to fighting piracy,” said Glickman. “As an industry, we have to continue to educate people about copyright laws and the consequences of breaking those laws. At the same time, we have to provide legitimate, hassle-free ways for consumers to obtain movies at a reasonable cost. In the meantime we will continue to work with governments and law enforcement around the world to ensure copyright law is prevalent and enforced.”

Previous MPAA studies have only included information on hard goods piracy and have been based on supply rather than demand. This study is the first of its kind and will provide a measure of piracy for MPAA in the future so the association can continue to build on its recent successes.

Please donate 30c so they can ring someone who cares. Sheesh!

Their data is wrong. How come Malaysia is not in the list? :P :P

Do I need to write to them that I can get any movies at USD3

at the corner of the street? Or I can get any games in the world for USD3 also? Or the latest software? :(

Envy me :P

Their data is wrong. How come Malaysia is not in the list? :D :D

at the corner of the street? Or I can get any games in the world for USD3 also? Or the latest software? :P

Envy me :D

Or envy us both. :)

Someone should release a "study" like this one showing the impact of piracy on the OTHER end of the music industry. They could interview the guys who get paid fifty cents an hour to press disks or assemble jewel cases in some sweaty factory, and they could show off the modest music collections they wouldn't have been able to afford if it weren't for the street vendors selling bootlegged copies. They could find the guy who snuck the first disk out of the warehouse for a much needed 0-day bonus to his paycheck, putting it nearly in line with that of the guy who cleans the private restroom in the american exec's office suite, at least for that week.

I don't know the truth of the situation, but it would be amusing.

Their data is wrong. How come Malaysia is not in the list? :D:(

at the corner of the street? Or I can get any games in the world for USD3 also? Or the latest software? :P

Why envy you? Costs me nothing, save the cost of a blank disc. Piracy on the fronts you are in does need to be eradicated.

One downloading something and copying it is one thing, another copying and SELLING is another and those people need to be pimp slapped.

The problem with these studies is, they think that just because someone downloads a movie, it means that they've lost money.

The problem is, just because someone downloads something for free, it doesn't mean that they would have bought it.

If there's a bunch of candies in a bowl on a table, you might take one, but it doesn't mean you would have gone and bought that candy.

Their data is wrong. How come Malaysia is not in the list? :D:(

Why envy you? Costs me nothing, save the cost of a blank disc. Piracy on the fronts you are in does need to be eradicated.

One downloading something and copying it is one thing, another copying and SELLING is another and those people need to be pimp slapped.

I'm not saying I'm an angel, but I don't get this logic. How does paying a few bucks to the middleman cross obtaining illegal ip into the unnacceptable?

Their data is wrong. How come Malaysia is not in the list? :(:D

I'm not saying I'm an angel, but I don't get this logic. How does paying a few bucks to the middleman cross obtaining illegal ip into the unnacceptable?

I don't find it unacceptable. Face it, our internet connectivity here is not as good as First World Countries. Slow as heck. I thank the person who spend all the time downloading the crap I need, and I will pay for them for their time :D

Their data is wrong. How come Malaysia is not in the list? :D :D

Maybe because you're making a profit off something illegal? That's different entirely.

If you made something (Anything really) and a friend copied it and gave it to another friend, I doubt you'd be mad really.....maybe even flattered (As some artists consider it to be).

But if that friend turned around and copied what you made, and sold it to another friend for $20, I don't think you'd consider it flattery, and I don't think you'd be too impressed. I know I'd be asking for my $10 share.....