D20 RPG's

I am really getting into this. Sadly I do not know many people that play. I need to understand the rules better. Anyway I really want to start having my own adventures in a modern setting. I love fantasy but I feel it is a but overdone. Anyone have any cool ideas for adventures? Sorry I am kind in a hurry right now, I will post more on this subject tomorrow. Anyway I am looking forword to feedback on this. :unsure:

Me and two friends of mine decided we all read the D&D 3rd edition books. I was the only one who finished them, so I have no one to play with :afro:

I think there is a chat program for playing D20 games online. I'll try to find it.

I'm interested to hear what you like about it. There are things I like about it, but overall I'm kind of dissapointed by the bookkeeping involved. The power level of the PCs is also a bit whack, I think. It's not right to do nitty-gritty very well, but too underpowered for real heroics unless everybody min-maxes their character.

There's a superhero book (that could be used for just about anything with a little tweaking) called Mutants and Masterminds that uses a heavily modified D20 system that seems more interesting. I have yet to actually run it though. I really like White Wolf's Exalted system, and the discontinued Alternity system is interesting as well.

I think there is a chat program for playing D20 games online. I'll try to find it.

O.K., found it. You can download it from here. It's called WebRPG.

Edit: Dammit, I just that it is no longer freewere. They added a monthly fee :afro: I will search for a free one, and let you know when I find it

Edited by someboddy

It's been my experience that, after about level 10, there are way too many numbers to keep track of. One interesting manuever or enemy-cast spell can effectively change 10 numbers on your character sheet, many of them interrelated, and give you a timer to keep track of before it all (or, *shudder*, some of it) gets reversed. It's not AS bad if you're just playing a fighter who hits things or a caster who casts simple damage or heal spells, but just about anything else (IE, anything interesting) gets wonky real quick, and that says nothing for what the DM throws at you.

As far as power level, I just feel like it's off, but it has a lot to do with the DM as well. It's just hard to feel "heroic" when the vast majority of the abilities that make you a "hero" are entirely passive +1s or +2s to various numbers on your character sheet.

By contrast, the Mutants and Masterminds system I mentioned, while based on D20, has replaced the class system with a fairly simple method of constructing just about any special ability you could come up with, and keeping that balanced. To me, that was more interesting than battling through a bunch of bad guys for a handful of hit points and a +2 to your reflex save or something.

Daeval, you seems to have experience in this. Why don;t we start a game here and you be the Dungeon Master/Gamemaster/Whatevarmaster?

Because it sucks over the internet.