Haze WIP

Robert

The Killing Blade

ElSemi has been working on emulating the protection in “The Killing Blade” a game running on the PGM platform, and I’ve been porting his findings into MAME.

The Killing Blade was always a very mysterious game, near impossible to find any information on the only real information lay in the depths of the Taiwanese section of the old IGS site with only 2 tiny screenshots which weren’t even clear enough to determine what type of game it was.

Anyway, so that any potential buyers of the game actually know what they’ll be getting I’ve decided to take a few snaps of it. It’s a Samurai Shodown style game, quite bloody, with some nice effects. It’s a tag game like some of the CPS2 titles, but in this case both characters share a single energy bar. The characters and moves are more interesting than in a lot of similar titles, although the animation and quality of some of the graphics lets the game down a bit.

The game may not work 100% correctly yet as there are still some very suspicious things going on with the protection and more than a few things that don’t make much sense yet.

I’ve also added sprite zooming to the PGM driver, although this has slowed it down quite a bit for now. I may re-optimize it later, the PGM sprite system is messy to support.

Before anybody asks, No, I don’t plan on looking at the newer titles or porting ElSemi’s KOV2 work to MAME. I feel it’s more important to get the older IGS titles sorted out before even thinking of looking at the newer ones like Martial Masters, Knights of Valor 2, DoDonPachi 2 etc.

Note, these screenshots have been resized to look better on a standard display because PGM uses a strange 448×224 resolution.

Note 2, this is really ElSemi’s WIP as porting his code to MAME is trivial compared to figuring it out in the first place.

Anyway, now everybody has a pretty good idea what it looks like.

>> Visit Haze's site to see the pictures.

I think he sometimes visits the mame.net and mameworld.net forums and responds to them sometimes.

(I doubt he checks his email often after all those people emailed him about emulating atomiswave)