Intel Regains the Performance Crown with Conroe

Gryph

Jesus, these benchmarks are quite impressive. Intel's new Conroe chips outperform the closest AMD's X2s competitors at gaming. AMD has pretty much ruled the gaming CPU scene during the whole P4 cycle but things are about to change.

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2713&p=1

Notice how they're running slower than the X2s and still outperforming them. The power consumption is also lower I think.

Despite moving to the AM2 socket, AMD isn't expected to make any other major architectural changes soon that could possibly outperform these Intels. Also, the Conroes won't be out for another 6 months so it's possible for them to improve it even more. AMD could also possibly catch up in that time but who knows?

Color me impressed. My next upgrade might not be AMD after all.

EDIT: Although, one should expect Intel to show it's best face at it's on function so it could be exaggerated.

guess my next PC will will intel based

Edited by Ryuken

Obviously you haven't heard of AMD's FX-55 powerhouse-of-a-processer. Look it up. It kicks arse. :thumbsdown:

Edited by Mooney

why does it seem like we have been stuck at around 3GHz for like...years..

I know there are a few 4Ghz processors out there but when are they going to become widely available? Shouldnt we be more worried about more GHz that optimizing more and more?

I think they should make 4GHz or higher some kind of standard and optimize that more than worry about optimizing what we have now

Not that I really care to point fingers at either company in the ping-pong war that is CPUs (And GPUs for that matter), but it sure took Intel long enough, and they won't stay out in front. The generation is too early for one damn core to prove that.

As for Tom's Hardware.......F**K Tom's Hardware. Those guys are stunned. If theres a biased site out there, that is it. I think they wear kneedpads and sit under the desks of execs at AMD and NvIdia. Not to mention their technical reviews are laughable at best, considering alot of their reviews consist of garbage they read off published hardware papers, and we all know what you see on paper.....means DICK.

btw, I have no fanboy tendancies here. Next machine of mine will be AMD just because of their proven track record so far this gen an their strong push at the end of last gen. As for graphics cards........dunno, I'll see whats going on when I build.

Oh and Shiba, Ghz doesn't mean a thing beyond raw speed capability. We're at a wall with regards to that right now. Raw speed = more heat, too much heat at this point to be worth the performance.

You think the latest X86 at like 3.6Ghz could outperform even a G4 PPC at like 1.2Ghz? Fat chance in a snowballs hell.

As for Tom's Hardware.......F**K Tom's Hardware. Those guys are stunned. If theres a biased site out there, that is it. I think they wear kneedpads and sit under the desks of execs at AMD and NvIdia. Not to mention their technical reviews are laughable at best, considering alot of their reviews consist of garbage they read off published hardware papers, and we all know what you see on paper.....means DICK.

You can say that to about almost all the hardware sites.

I don't think it's simply a matter of using DDR2-667. The Conroe's are a major architectural change for Intel to surpass what AMD has been doing for the past few years. It was only a matter of time for Intel to catch up and outperform since they have a much larger R&D budget.

AMD roadmap just has the switch to AM2 which may or may not really improve performance. Although they will be coming out with the 5000+ series so that should be interesting and those will be dual core only.

What's as important as performance is also energy consumption. Conroes are supposed to (don't know if they do or not) not exceed 65W. If that actually happens then it's flocking impressive. Laptops are going to get a hell of a lot more powerful with low energy high power chips.

I throught something was dodgy about them also, I think they used the bug crap as an excuse.