Sony announces portable Playstation

I think this is going to be a really big story in the months to come. The PSP looks like it is going to be a cool little machine, and knowing Sony, they are going to promote the heck out of it.

From what I can tell, Nintendo is not worried yet, and is focusing on games that link the GBA to the GC. Sonys angle seems to be more toward the PC user sector as this quote implies:

"Additionally, the machine will come equipped with a USB 2.0 port, allowing high speed data transfers and will have a slot for Sony's memory stick data storage technology."

This should be fun to watch and see how it all turns out.

Some links to CNN articles on this:

Sony Takes on GB (CNN)

Nintendo Dismisses Sony GBA Rival (CNN)

I doubt even Sony can dent Nintendos stranglehold in the handheld market. I hope they don't anyway because if they do then Nintendo will most likely die 

Very, very wishful thing.

__

Display: Wide-screen (16:9) TFT LCD with backlight (res: 480x272)

Disc medium: UMD (Universal Media Disc) 60mm optical secured ROM disc with cartridge (1.8Gb)

Video CODEC: MPEG4

Graphics: 3D polygon/NURBS

Audio: PCM (built-in stereo speakers; stereo headphone output)

I/O: USB 2.0, Memory Stick slot

Battery: Rechargable (lithium-ion)

Hopefully it will stir nintendo into a much less lazy handheld development. Fewer ports of snes tites.

I don't personally see the problems with ports. We are spoiled by emulation but there are a whole generation of kids who haven't even heard of, nevermind played half of these old games. Also there are a huge ammount of completely brand new games out/coming out for the GBA. I do agree that competition for the Big N is a good thing though.

Having thought about it a bit more, the PSP is probably aimed at an older market, say 20-35y/o. It will also be interesting to see how they get the rechargable battery to last more than an hour considering all the moving parts and the large screen. I also hope the parts used are of far better quality than the crap ones used to make PS2s.

Analysing the specs a little :(

Display: Wide-screen (16:9) TFT LCD with backlight (res: 480x272) - The screen resolution isn't good enough to play DVDs (720x576)or SVCDs (480x576). ie the movie playback won't be that hot.

Disc medium: UMD (Universal Media Disc) 60mm optical secured ROM disc with cartridge (1.8Gb) - This I do like but only if they are writable. Being able to use your own cds(mini dvdrw) is important for something like this.

Video CODEC: MPEG4 - Sony say near DVD quality which is a blatent lie. Mpeg4 comes nowhere close to DVD quality.

Graphics: 3D polygon/NURBS - This is what really pisses me off about Sony. Fanboys will read that and go "NURBS, no way, that is the coolest" :) The effect of Nurbs can easily be achieved using normal polygons. It's just more buzzword crap that means absolutely nothing. They did the same thing with the cell and what a lot of pish that turned out to be :?

Audio: PCM (built-in stereo speakers; stereo headphone output) - Nintendo should learn that people like built in headphone outputs. This is why the GBA SP sucks a big one.

I/O: USB 2.0, Memory Stick slot - Since the PS2 has USB 1.1 transfer speeds I don't see the point of this. But hey it's still nice to have it.

Battery: Rechargable (lithium-ion) - It will be pretty much the same as the GBA SP battery. The GBA is solid, has a small screen and no moving parts hence the batterly life is long. This won't be the case for the PSP.

Anyway, to sum up I am not that impressed. Worst of all is that they are keeping the dual shock control pad style for it. I don't like the analogue sticks for the PS2 so this is pretty annoying. And if the system fits in your pocket I will buy everyone in the world a beer.

The main casualty of all this will probably be the N-gage. Why pay £300 for a handheld gaming unit with phone capabilities when you can buy a mobile and a GBA for less. There are also rumours about a portable Xbox coming out in the next couple of years. Maybe we will hear about it E3 2004. You would be an idiot to think MS hadn't tried to develop or design a handheld.

BAH!! i wont be getting it, thats for sure. for portable gaming, i still turn to my good 'ol sega gamegear. :happy:

Woah ryder awesome avatar.

thats k9999 i beleive, from kof 2001 and 2002. i have an avatar of him on your boards emsley. :shock: some people say he is just a poor rip off from the movie akira, but i still think he looks cool. :happy:

Woah ryder awesome avatar.

thats k9999 i beleive, from kof 2001 and 2002. i have an avatar of him on your boards emsley. :shock: some people say he is just a poor rip off from the movie akira, but i still think he looks cool. :happy:

LMAO, my avatar is from Akira, but yeah they do have a real close resemblence to each other, hehe and thx for the comp emsley :lol: