I wish i wish i wish

Shibathedog

Whaaaaaat? The N64 was the system that started Nintendo's downfall. That system had soooo much crap on it. I mean, it had some good ones, but definately not enough to make up for the bad ones.

And yes, Tetris Attack was an extremely good game.

N64 wasn't nintendos downfall, Its very arguable but I would have to blame other consoles. I mean think about it, Playstation probably caused alot of this problem. SNES was ontop of the GENISIS. In my opinion N64 was better then psx (i still loved psx) It had Multiplayer, Great for when your friends came over. Also Xbox, They came out of nowhere. But Its not a bad thing. More consoles being developed all the time. What gets on my nerves is when they make a really good game on a different system and on the ones you own they never release that game for it. In all, I dont think the N64 caused nintendos downfall.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They caused Nintendo's downfall becos they opt for catridge based instead of CD based to get more money. This alienated a lot of developers and they jump ship to Sony.

That's what I was going to say, but Nintendo didn't get more money out of those. Cartridges cost more to produce... Nintendo though that carts were less prone to break/wear and tear than CD-ROMs and that cart had no load times whatsoever (which is true).

Many developers switched to CD-ROM based consoles because of the sheer amount of data you could fit on a CD-ROM, the possibility of audio tracks in Red Book format and FMVs.

They caused Nintendo's downfall becos they opt for catridge based instead of CD based to get more money. This alienated a lot of developers and they jump ship to Sony.

That's what I was going to say, but Nintendo didn't get more money out of those. Cartridges cost more to produce... Nintendo though that carts were less prone to break/wear and tear than CD-ROMs and that cart had no load times whatsoever (which is true).

Many developers switched to CD-ROM based consoles because of the sheer amount of data you could fit on a CD-ROM, the possibility of audio tracks im Red Book format and FMVs.

which, IMO, gave the playstation a certain edge over the N64

Many developers switched to CD-ROM based consoles because of the sheer amount of data you could fit on a CD-ROM, the possibility of audio tracks im Red Book format and FMVs.

which, IMO, gave the playstation a certain edge over the N64

It most certainly did, and with it Sony gave Nintendo the finger after the ill-fated SNES CD unit.

IMO, the 90's had popular (does not apply to the 3DO, Jaguar, wonderswan, etc) game systems that had qualities one had that the other didn't. For ex, the snes had a better graphics than the sega genesis (megadrive), while the genesis (megadrive) had more cpu; then the psx and the n64 were at war (before dreamcast), and the psx ran media that had more space, ran compact discs (which allowed blue and red book audio), yet the N64 had better graphics, and as well know, the N64 didn't have as much ram (why a expansion pack was needed released) or space.

I think the fun factor of psx games was what made me like them a bit more than N64 games

I memmer comparing the psx version of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater with the N64 version. N64 version's graphics were a little better, but the musik had no lyrics and looped 1min long instrumentals (not much of a bother anyways, but I thought it was a good observation)

Edited by Weirdy

You guys are so nostalgic. But there are still inovative games nowadays! Just like agozer said, katamari damacy is a good example.

Back in the 8-bit and 16-bit era, granted there were a few innovative concepts and good games, but most were crap just like now! Have you forgotten Pit Fighter? There were A LOT of these crappy games back then, and good and innovative games were not that common. Sure, now we only remember the good games. But when I was a kid and had a SMS, I read lots of game magazines to make sure the next game I'd buy wouldn't be a total crap, because guess what? Most games in shops were really bad.

I really don't think it's worse now than back then. Anyway, if you don't like today's games, have a look in your roms collection. Try a few random games (really random, some games you don't know and have never heard about), you could find a jewel, but most likely the biggest part will be pure crap.

See, I disagree. I am about to make a sweeping generalisation here, but when I go through all my roms and old games, a lot of them are good, and most of the others are playable and at least vaguely interesting. But I just can't say that about today's games. I look on the shelf at the local game shop, and barely any register anything with me, with only a couple I consider special and worth me buying and playing.

I mean, go to a local games store, see the recent releases, and see which ones take your fancy - you could probably count them on your hand.

Just my two cents.

Eh, there are so many mediocre titles for the Playstation alone that most games go unnoticed when i go to the store (and sadly, those titles are the cheap ones since they haven't sold well.

Ugh, movie license games...

yeah, like that one game. What was it called? Motor Toon Racing or something. It looked a little too...cheesy.

But then again, there were a bit more games for the psx than the N64, so there's bound to be some bad apples. A lot of games by Take-Two didn't survive that era

[...]then the psx and the n64 were at war (before dreamcast), and the psx ran media that had more space, ran compact discs (which allowed blue and red book audio), yet the N64 had better graphics[...]

it had?

You know, I've heard a lot of people say that, but I don't know if this was always true....

Maybe it has to do with what the developers made for it (and who made it), but for example, comparing ridge racer 64 with ridge racer type 4, I find r4 to be easily the best looking of the two... I guess because of the higher polygon car models and superior lighting.

However, Conker's BFD looks quite excellent.