Assembly

Madman

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ANY language you code in IS compiled to binary/assembly, upon execution latest (.NET Framework compiles upon execution) as binary/assembly is the only stuff your comp can execute

So debugging something is accessing at the binary level, therfore it returns assembly stuff.

I'm sure cutting through fresh flesh with a scalpel is also much more fun than learning how the heart works. However, I'm not sure I'd like to know the surgeon that would open my chest has skipped theory because "it's more fun to cut".

You don't need to learn every detail of how a computer works to code; but jumping straight into coding won't lead you anywhere either. To learn assembly coding though, you'll have to know how the processor you will code for works.

At the very least, to code in any language, try to learn the basics of data structures and how an algorithm works (for high level languages; assembly would require more technical knowledge). Coding can be a little fun when you jump straight into it, but it's so much better when you know what you're doing.

Also, forget about debugging programs you didn't write yourself. To save on space, they usually remove all labels, making it almost impossible to understand anything about the disassembled code, even for professionnals. You could begin by trying to understand the source code of open-source programs, even that is tough.

EDIT: I forgot something. If you want to have fun coding, stay the hell away from assembly. Any sane person would get crazy trying to code something really elaborate in assembly. It's like building a wooden house with matches.

Edited by taratata