xbox dvd drive makes a weird high pitched noise

SF2MJ

I recently started noticing that my Xbox is struggling to read some of my older games and backups.

For example the very first Final burn emulator that came out for Xbox no longer plays.And lord of the rings the two towers is starting to have a problem too.

I noticed that with my older games my xbox dvd drive makes a weird high pitched noise while reading certain discs.

Do you guys think that maybe my drive is on it's way out?.Has anybody had this problem before with the high pitched noise?.The best way to describe the noise is like when you first turn on your t.v. and for a few seconds you get a high pitched noise.Imagine that going on and on while your trying to play a game.

Any info would be appreciated.

the way you describe it reminds me when i had a v1 ps2 making noises before it basically gave up, so i'd say its on its way of dying out.

lucky enough you have options to get a better drive now or you can opt to use a normal dvd-rom on your xbox but doing that means it won't load retail games, just backups.

the way you describe it reminds me when i had a v1 ps2 making noises before it basically gave up,

Man do i remember that i had a japanese ps2 it was a gift when i graduated yrs ago. the first few months it was working like a charm after those white disc came out it started screwing up, very long load times, CD,DVD error's. Missing sound or loaded completely late. my first game for it was Ridge Racer 5 man i love that game ^^.

Laser mech motor is dying, you can replace th at or the whole drive.

Right now I'm using an LG DRD-8120B PC drive, works awesome..........just can't play originals.

Want to get my hands on another Xbox drive (1st gen Sammy or a Philips) but people simply want too much for em. $50 is too much for a DVD drive, when you can get a whole XBOX for another $50 more used.

• 3 weeks later...

If you have voided your warranty in any way, just go to walmart, buy a new xbox, use a hair dryer to peel back the stickers so you can get to the screws. Take the top off, pull out the new disk drive and switch it with yours. Put everything back together, return to walmart and get your money back. No need to feel guilty, you probably got a worthless thompson drive that won't even play retail games. Also feel proud knowing you stuck it to the man by doing the equivalent of sticking a tack in front of a steam roller...