Hurricane Rita:

Lucandrake

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just been hearing on the radio, that Rita is now stronger than Katrina, a strong sev 5. Also that the city of Galveston has been evacuated.

I've read that amazing story of when Galveston was destroyed in the year 1900, with 8000 dead.

Yeah, but I think people are gonna get the wrong idea that this is somehow gonna be worse then New Orleans. Bear in mind it wasn't the hurricane that destroyed the place it was the water.

Well it's not going to be a cakewalk either. Here is a 4 mb Powerpoint presentation of a study done about what a Category 4 hurricane would do to Galveston.

http://www.thesevenwords.com/documents/gal...onhurricane.pps

Also bear in mind that it's a category 5 storm with maximum sustained winds of 170 mph with gusts that can reach 210+. Luckily the pressure has gone up from 898 to 907 bar since the 11 CDT NHS report so that may cause it to weaken.

I've got an uncle and aunt fleeing Houston. Seems the Texas state authority has their siht together. The contrast between them and the Louisiana authorities seems to confirm the side of the feds in that the local government flocked up in New Orleans. Not that it'll stop the goose-steppers from playing "Blame Bush."

I've got an uncle and aunt fleeing Houston. Seems the Texas state authority has their siht together. The contrast between them and the Louisiana authorities seems to confirm the side of the feds in that the local government flocked up in New Orleans. Not that it'll stop the goose-steppers from playing "Blame Bush."

Or maybe the fact that they saw what happened in Louisiana and made sure that didn't happen again. ;) But I agree that our government sucks a shitload. Our governer is a damn moron. I'm a democrat and voted for the republican instead. But people blamed Bush for the slow FEMA response and lack of early aid, not the evacuation part. The evacuation is pretty much blamed on Nagin and Blanco.