Sony's Everquest 2 hacked

Robert

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39213099,00.htm

Sony claims that a group of hackers illegally created a huge amount of Everquest II (EQ2) currency over the weekend, and says the players caused the game's economy to suffer 20 percent inflation in just 24 hours before being caught.

According to Chris Kramer, director of public relations for EQ2 publisher Sony Online Entertainment, the players had on Saturday begun using their so-called "duping bug" to make large quantities of platinum, the game's currency. (A duping bug is a hack that exploits a weakness in online games' code to dublicate existing items to effectively create counterfeit currency or other goods.)

The players then began trying to sell the ill-gotten platinum on Station Exchange, the official auction exchange for EQ2 weapons, armour, currency and other virtual goods. "The amount of money in the game increased by a fifth in about 24 hours," Kramer said. "We have a lot of alarms for this kind of thing, and they all went off on Saturday."

The economy of the MMORPG (massively multiplayer online role-playing game) was quickly brought back to its pre-attack state, Kramer added.

i've never played this game before, so do they buy the items with real money ?? and for peoplee that bought them do they get to keep it?

agozer that is the funniest crap i have read since the space car you posted before

this is from the link, read the first one man is it funny.

Oh boy, it was that first half-dwarf guy who gave me all that armor when I first started. I guess he couldn’t resist my feminine charms. He asked me to join his guild so I did. Over the next few weeks he would talk to me practically every night. He was like a love-stricken puppy dog messaging me his sweet nothings. In fact, he never left me alone. The guy was insane. He practically worshipped my virtual elf chick, showering upon her gold and rare items. Hey, as long as I got a steady stream of items, weapons, and armor so I didn’t have to go fetch them myself I didn’t give a crap.

agozer that is the funniest crap i have read since the space car you posted before

this is from the link, read the first one man is it funny.

Oh boy, it was that first half-dwarf guy who gave me all that armor when I first started. I guess he couldn’t resist my feminine charms. He asked me to join his guild so I did. Over the next few weeks he would talk to me practically every night. He was like a love-stricken puppy dog messaging me his sweet nothings. In fact, he never left me alone. The guy was insane. He practically worshipped my virtual elf chick, showering upon her gold and rare items. Hey, as long as I got a steady stream of items, weapons, and armor so I didn’t have to go fetch them myself I didn’t give a crap.

I got phat loot when I started off in EQ. My friends kept giving me things because I was on 56k at the time and I could barely go on all the time. Showering of times = the win.