Real Id.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wtf!!!

I thought everyone got a id

or is that only California?

Every state issues an ID in form of either drivers license or some other thing. It's up to the states to do that but this bill wants there to be a national card issued by the federal government.

it looks to me like the ppl who put this site up are just making too much of a big deal

they're worried about hackers getting into the database

if the database will be extremely secure and have ppl's pictures on them, how will identities be stollen?

it looks to me like the ppl who put this site up are just making too much of a big deal

if the database will be extremely secure and have ppl's pictures on them, how will identities be stollen?

Dude...identities can be EASILY stolen. Before internet identify theft, people stole it the old fashioned way with people's driver license (never let them put your social security # on your driver's license) and credit cards. And every database is crackable, everything.

But the main issue is that this makes a country closer to a police state with even greater power concentrated in the central federal government. It's up to the states right now to issue ID cards because you live in that certain state.

Identities are stolen all the time as it is, and pictures aren't a real important part of it I don't think. It's more about the social security numbers and ruining credit and things.

As for the site.. I've heard of this "national ID" thing before, and the only part that really scares me is the remote readable aspect. I really don't like the idea of projecting my identity in a radius around my wallet, no matter how secure some government monkey thinks it is. Other than that, I think the site is largely a bunch of paranoid reactionist crap.

But the main issue is that this makes a country closer to a police state with even greater power concentrated in the central federal government. It's up to the states right now to issue ID cards because you live in that certain state.

I'm not saying this is entirely untrue, but I'm not seeing how, really. Former police states had national IDs, but having national IDs does not make a country a police state.

As long as it's JUST a means of identifying a person, what (and this is an honest question, not a smart-ass remark) makes people think it will turn us into a police state?

Edited by Daeval

I'm not saying this is entirely untrue, but I'm not seeing how, really. Former police states had national IDs, but having national IDs does not make a country a police state.

As long as it's JUST a means of identifying a person, what (and this is an honest question, not a smart-ass remark) makes people think it will turn us into a police state?

I said it makes us closer to a police state, not an actual police state. It could just be a harmless identity card like you suggest. But stuff like the remote tracking thing can allow the Federal government to just as easily use it in support of a police state.

But why is there even a need for a national card when the federal government already issues social security cards which are already our main identity card. The states should be capable of handling the IDs so why is the federal government now trying to step in?

But I'm also paranoid and distrustful of centralized power so my opinions will obviously be skewed. :rolleyes:

But what a coincidence, my current outstanding issue in NationStates Big Brother anti-crime stuff:

The Issue

The Police department is considering installing surveillance cameras in all major public areas, in an effort to crack down on crime.

The Debate

1. "This is a blatant invasion of the right to privacy!" says libertarian web site operator Zeke Steele. "Now I can't even go out in public any more without being watched? And you know this is just the beginning. Today there are cameras in city streets. Tomorrow they're peering through your bedroom window."

[Accept]

2. "Hey, I've got news for you," says Police media liaison Pete King. "When you're out in public, PEOPLE CAN SEE YOU. These cameras will be extremely helpful in reducing the national crime rate. Frankly, I can't see what the fuss is about."

[Accept]

3. "This 'slippery slope' argument has got me thinking," says Police Minister Beth Love. "You know, it would be a lot easier to fight crime if we watched people all the time. Not with cameras, of course. That's clearly an invasion of privacy. But how about a national database of our citizens, coupled with compulsory ID cards and barcoding? It would stop crime dead in its tracks."

[Accept]

Oh, no! Not an ID card! :rolleyes:

I don't see the big deal. The tracking device they might put in the card, that's a little creepy, but the card itself just doesn't jump out at me and yell totalitarian.

i hate how the government can track u down if they want, i mean it's good when ur kidnap or something like that but knowing that somebody can find u no matter where u go just feels kinda creepy. also, r they gonna put rfid on it ?