What are your favorite arcade shooters?

My personal favorites

Guwange

Esp.ra.de

gunbirds

anyone got any other ones that I should try out? I have a complete mame.87 set so more then likely if you can recommend it I have it.

• 2 weeks later...

Guwange

ESP Arade

PROGEAR (GODLY ASS GAME)

Mars Matrix

Giga Wing

Donpachi

DoDonPachi

DoDonPachi (Black Label)

Dimahoo

Raiden 1 and 2 (if only 2 would work on Mame

If all these can run on FBAx, that would be awesome....

Sol Divide

Raiden Fighters

Raiden Jet

Giga Wing 2

Being a shooter fanatic, I will list my personal faves by company..

Cave:

-ESP Ra.De.-Easily Cave's best work, and Joker Jun's best artwork. The scoring system is awesome and adds a ton of challenge to the game. The gameplay is incredible, as is having three seperate shooting options.

-Progear No Arashi-Another Joker Jun masterpiece. Though the scoring system is extremely delicate, and a pain to master, it's still somewhat easy to pick up on. The main reason this game is great, other than the obvious, is because there is a lot of character in the designs. Your bosses and their ships are also named too, something I think is great. Get the board of this game if you like it as much as I do. Emulated versions have incorrect speed and have more or less slowdown in areas the real arcade version does. Also, get the green Japan board as it has all the voices that the blue american board lacks.

-MushihimeSama-Graphically insane. Though it is very similar to ESPGaluda at times, it still kicks some major tail, especially in Ultra Mode where there are more bullets on screen than any other shooter.

-Dodonpachi Dai Ou Jou- This shooter is the definition of difficult and beautiful. More of Joker Jun all over this one. Even though the graphics are prerendered in some places, it is still incredible. The black label version of the game which is INCREDIBLY rare, improves on the B-Type shotia. If anyone here has played it, I would like some impressions on the upgrades.

Psikyo:

-Strikers 1945 II- Bring it. WWII-esque designs with some over the top transforming mecha bosses. No brainer here.

-Dragon Blaze- Recently released on PS2 for anyone who cares. Psikyo's best game. Skip it on mame, there are graphic and sound glitches. I own the PCB and there is quite a difference in speed and background animation/clarity.

-Zero Gunner 2- Naomi title available for Dreamcast. This is a must-have game imo. The unique control and the incredible graphics make this one of my top-five of all time.

Raizing/8ing:

-Dimahoo- Another no-brainer. I got the full cps-2 kit brand new for $190 two years ago and I still play the holy crap out of it. Unlock the bonus characters from Batrider and Mahou and it's even more fun.

-Armed Police Batrider-Probably Raizing's best..18 selectable characters and the most unlockables/secrets of ANY shooter. Incredibly fun.

-Soukyugurentai-Raizing outdid themselves with this title. Get it on Sega Saturn and find out why. Excellent difficulty, great gameplay and an awesome lock-on subweapon system.

Takumi:

-Giga Wing 2- "Go for the gazillion score!" That is what the promo flyer that came with my Naomi kit of this game said. More manic than manic and with beautiful graphics and an amazing soundtrack. If you can't get the Naomi GD rom get the import DC version as the US release lacks the voices.

-Mars Matrix- Hard. Very Hard. The way shooters should be. I have this on CPS2 and DC, the CPS2 version lacks some of the unlockables/bonus features the DC version does, but the CPS2 board is full screen. Takumi's best game. Period.

Those are my current faves. Along with Raiden fighters Jet..which I forgot to mention. :lol: