I formatted a new hdd with win xp professional.

SF2MJ

If I did the *recommended,* I'd be using 1.5 GB for my pagefile, but I don't, I just use 768.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

isn't NTFS only good for servers and other stuff that needs high security ?? just wondering

NTFS has lots of advantages.

Let's describe each system.

FAT (or FAT16) has a 16-bit system of file pointers. There can only be a maximum of 65536 (2**16) clusters. On large drives, this leads to huge clusters. The maximum size of a cluster can be 65536 bytes. This gives a total maximum HD size of 4.2 gigs. On today's computers, that is not very useful.

FAT32 was invented for Windows 95. It has a 32-bit system, which means you can have 4.2 billion clusters, or a maximum HD size of 275 terabytes. This will be useful for a number of years.

NTFS is said to be unlimited, although I suspect it has the same limitation as FAT32. It has extra features such as on-the-fly compression; on-the-fly encryption of individual folders; security specific on each folder; a drive letter that spans several physical disks; support for RAID; transaction-tracking which allows for repair of a damaged disk; auditing.

NT4 can use NTFS and FAT (FAT32 wasn't invented back then)

W2K and XP can use all 3 systems.

DOS only does FAT

Win95/98 can do FAT and FAT32.

A tool is available to allow DOS to read NTFS.

Another tool allows Win95/98 to read and write NTFS, bypassing the security but no access to encrypted files.

Here some links for useful reading about NTFS:

http://www.digit-life.com/articles/ntfs/

http://www.ntfs.com/

I have to disagree with you.

FAT32 was released in 1996, for win95. Not the very first win95 release though.

I've got FAT32 on my win95 box since I bought it back then, and it's always worked perfectly.

When I did a win95 course, FAT32 was explained to us, and Win98 had not seen the light of day at that time. I still have the course materials.

Edited by robbbert

Well, on my old computer, I once did a Windows 98 install and switched to FAT32. I wasn't satisfied with what I got, so I reverted back to Windows 95 (OSR2) by completely formatting the HDD. So, during the first boot, I get a message stating "Could not initialize drive C:", but it booted Windows fine despite this. Long story short, Windows totally forgot that LFN exists, so I had to manually rename every single folder that had more than 8 letters. Everything was fine after that though.

• 2 weeks later...

Cinder made a partition for his pagefile for his own reasons. I wouldn't bother, just leave it on your C drive. On my win95 pc, the defragger even defrags the page file.

You don't have to make a pagefile, you can let windows manage it for you. I decided to set mine to 800mb on the win95 pc because it does a lot of work.

On this machine I just use the internet so the pagefile is only 100mb. There is 512mb of ram which is heaps.

The purpose of the pagefile is to be an extension of your ram. If you ran out of memory your system could crash; so windows uses some hard drive space as extra "memory". It swaps out unneeded running programs to the pagefile so it can work on whatever you are doing now.

To set it up, go your control panel, system, advanced, performance options, and you can set the min and max sizes. Depending on your ram and what you use the pc for, choose something between 300mb and 1024mb.

If you're using the computer some time, and you get a message saying that windows needs to increase the page file size, you'll know you didn't give it enough.

so considering i do alot of graphics work, i guess that i should increase it's size... i dunno what size it's currently at...

but at any given moment i'm usually doing graphics editing, AND like a zillion other programs are running tasks.

The more memory intensive stuff you do, the larger pagefile the better. But a large pagefile should never be a substitute for RAM. It's more important to have more RAM.