Corperate America Wins Again

Wizard

I agree with the fines and whatnot for unreleased stuff because it's just stealing... plain and simple.

Once it is released though, you buy it, you own it... don't you? As far as I'm concerned you should be able to do whatever you like with it - it's yours.

Stealing the film is just a felony. Just another robbery.

Copying it lowers the income of corporate giants - now you're in trouble!

That's part of it, I'm sure.

Another big part of it is that releasing warez, and even downloading them from a peer-to-peer network, assists other people in stealing even more of the product. It's as though you snuck into a video store, stole their entire stock, and started handing them out in front of the store. That's a lot more people who won't be paying for the product, and the store is out wholesale costs AND profits on all that product. In the case of filesharing, large corporations lose out on profits, even though they paid the same production costs, and retail stores further down the chain lose out on sales as well.

Even if the file was only available for sharing for 20 minutes from your system, that's 20 minutes you were assisting others in stealing that product, so it makes sense that the fine is higher than for stealing the product itself.

However, I think the proportion is a little off. If you were sharing for 20 minutes, and maybe 15 people got a total of 30K of a 600MB file from you, the fines they are hitting people with would be way out of proportion. That would be like stealing a movie, letting a friend record 3 minutes of it, and getting fined $10,000.

Releasing full albums as part of a release group, and similar larger-scale operations are a different story. Those guys know they are commiting major crimes, and the damage they do is different. These are people who bust the front door in and put a big sign out at the street so everyone knows.

But I guess it's a question of ethics then.

This is precisely why I have tiny explosive in my PC case incase I'm ever raided. Just flip a switch and BAM! Evidence gone.

You know, it just hit me. Have you been watching The Broken?