End of DSemu ?

Robert

From the official site

Firstly this...

It's been a slow week. There're hundreds of pretty large bugs, some that have been there for a while, and some that have appeared just recently; I can't seem to track any of them down. If you've been wanting to help out with the code, now would be a good time.

It's probably going to be a while before I can release.03d, since I'd like it to coincide with the introduction of 3D rendering (I like matching these little things up). The slight issue is that I know not the first thing about OpenGL, so you could be waiting for a good long time.

And just now, this...

I lost my development box yesterday. None of the DSemu source files or past versions were stored on the box's hard drive, but I did lose the compilation environment, and a nice P3-600. It looks like some of the motherboard tracks are fried; not much I can do.

Which means I can't work on DSemu anymore. It looks like.03c is the last release. Don't worry, though; I'll start on a dynamic-recompiling ARM core, so my P166 can get useful output. And I might even make a start on that set of 'how to make an emulator' tutorials.

At least I don't have to play catch-up to Dualis anymore. Thanks for all the support, everyone, it's been much appreciated.

It's not the end of the project as a whole. Essentially, I can't work on the current incarnation of the emulator any more, as it's a Win32 project, and I have no Win32 development environment. I do, however, have access to a PowerPC; the loss of the x86 environment gives me an excuse to start on what the project was all about: dynamic recompilation.

Basically, the current zip will remain as is until I can swap out the core with a portable dynarec.

Might be a silly question... but any idea what time frame that would be?

btw, on behalf of everyone here, I appreciate all the work you've put into DS emulation, you're one of very few who have gotten anywhere with it. :P

Remember, if you ever get another version or emu to work on win32, I can test it for you.

Edited by robbbert

If I were to give a wildly inaccurate guess, I'd say another 8 months. But of course, I don't have the time now that I had last August, and lord only knows what'll happen for the rest of this year. As for testing it, I'm most likely to develop for my PowerPC server at the moment, so I'm not sure how much use a Win32 environment would be :P

Thanks for the expression of appreciation. If more than zero people get some use (or even inspiration) from what I do, then I'm happy.

Keep up the good work Two9, everyone down here in miami is hoping you can accomplish this emu! Searsly everyone in computer class wants this emu. I know not enough about coding so sorry I can't help look for bugs :P

I've been following this since the beginning, and I don't think I'll stop following even now. The development of emulators fasanate me for some reason, so I'll be sure to keep an eye out for your next release, no matter how far into the future it is.

If you become totally stumped why not Join together With Lino or Mic in their emulators. You could make it a joint union, why not all three. lol this could produce alot of good things for the DS Emulators. Making one perfect NDS emulator to rule THEM ALL. So cool when you think about it.

If you become totally stumped why not Join together With Lino or Mic in their emulators. You could make it a joint union, why not all three. lol this could produce alot of good things for the DS Emulators. Making one perfect NDS emulator to rule THEM ALL. So cool when you think about it.

I'm sure mic has enough on his plate without having to worry about Two9A ballzing it all up for him :P

Making your points well and succinctly as ever, zid. But as mic's mentioned over at his place, our codebases are entirely different, and we've had varying methods of tackling the root problems. Turns out my way was a touch more complex, and had more bugs as a result.

But that's life :P