Browse the web with PSP!

Inky

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm. well no secure site browsing then huh. still it's pretty rad that anything can be done at all and it holds major promise for the future.

good job and kudos to you Thraxen for putting it through the paces! :D

As I said on IRC, forget about buying an IPOD. Time for a PSP. :D

Ahem.

Ipod > PSP for music

Creative Jukebox vids > PSP for vids

Power PC > PSP for webbrowsing

Ahem.

But PSP does all of those and it looks good doing so, no matter if gets owned in those categories by other products. ;):lol:

Ahem.

Ipod > PSP for music

Ahem.

But PSP does all of those and it looks good doing so, no matter if gets owned in those categories by other products. ;):lol:

So 1GB is good for everyone. Poor saps, getting ripped off with expensive Sony memory sticks.

Yeah, the memory sticks are expensive. But if they had included a HDD then the price would be higher and people would be whining even more about the price. Plus it would just be one more part that could break. Then you would have the battery life shortened considerably because it would be using another moving part.

Anyway, just buy memory sticks from SanDisk, they are quite a bit cheaper than the Sony brand.

The point is though that it's a gaming machine first. That is what it does best. But the fact you can use it for other things is quite nice.

And I don't really get how you can whine about the price of the PSP and then list a bunch of devices that are all as or more expensive than the PSP. Take the Creative Jukebox for example... you are actually talking about the Zen Media Center, correct? The jukebox is an MP3 player, the Zen Media Center is Creative's media player. I'm sure it's better for playing videos and other media, but it will also run you nearly $500.

To sum it up, yeah, it would be nice if the memory sticks were larger and cheaper, but I bought the PSP primarily as a gaming machine. Other than gaming I'll likely make use of the MP3 function the most. I'll throw a hundred or so songs on large memory stick before trips... that will suit me just fine. If I had any real need for a more comprehensive MP3 player I would own one already, but I don't.

Edited by Thraxen

Ahem.

Ipod > PSP for music

Ahem.

So 1GB is good for everyone. Poor saps, getting ripped off with expensive Sony memory sticks.

1gb sandisk memorys sticks can be had for about $130USD. not bad

IMO. the sony ones are much more.

Ipod = $150USD

Creative jukebox media player = $450USD

power pc = dunno couldn't find it via google but mobile webbrowsers like pdas, blackberry and sidekick go for between 250 and 500 bucks

Low end total is around $850 and we are still not counting any portable gaming in there, add another 100 to 200 bucks for a nintendo product and game.

for that you can set yourself up real good with a psp, games, and a few 1gb mem sticks. as an all in one I think it's pretty awesome.

my mp3 cd player with a 650 MB cd full of mp3s is quite abit of music, more then enough to get me through a day. so adding 200+ MB of music to that is enough for me.