Servers and owning one

Ok , guys, I know jack about networking, please help me! Just give me the names and I can find the info, I want a server for my b-day, one ranging from $200-300 , I can sowly buy the rest of the parts myself. My internet speed is 3.0 MPBS and I wont be doing anything big just hosting 1 or 2 dedicated servers on this server, all I need to know is, whats a good company thats affordable, and how do I get started

A server is just a regular PC. Except most servers don't have graphics cards (they just use on board crap because that's all they need), a lot of RAM, and nice processor speeds. What makes it a server is the software.

UT2K4 and JK3, CS when I get the game back :thumbsup1:

Edit:Gc, what internet connection does the average host have? I have 3.0 mps and I wouldnt mind gettinga summer job for a better internet speed.

Edited by Drake

UT2K4 and JK3, CS when I get the game back :P

Edit:Gc, what internet connection does the average host have? I have 3.0 mps and I wouldnt mind gettinga summer job for a better internet speed.

We have a OC3 connection or something. So I don't know. :thumbsup1:

I think that speed will suit you good enough. But I think each of those games have dedicated server software things. I know for sure CS does because I have that installed. I think JK3 is still based on Quake III engine so that should have it too. And UT2k4 would be stupid to not have it. Check the sites for those two games and see if you have to download anything extra for them.

Yeah I got the scripts and whatnot, a mod for JK3 has a FAQ on how to run a server on it (people that join the server wont need the mod to join so it should work fine). Before I reformated my drive about a month ago I hosted a Dedicated server from my hardrive on UT2K4, and it started giving me hearbeat errors and to please change it to xxxxx.

Edit: If I update my ram to 1gig and buy another hardrive (my cousin has winXP cd so i can get that). Can I run the servers of one hardrive while still working with one pc?

Edit:Im getting hitch warnings on JK3 now :thumbsup1:

Edited by Drake

Ya know its not just the parts to it. I run a server on my old comp which is pretty old but still can run a good server.

Since u prolly have cable, The max players you can hold is probably 12.

And hint, not a good idea to host multiple game servers at a time just because ull be whoring the bandwidth and some of the servers might start to lag. You might want to check with your ISP if its okay to do this.