Thai Peanut Chicken

Daeval

And now for something completely different.

Made this the other day with my girlfriend. It's our own combination of a few recipes we found on the 'net, and it's damn tasty. It's also a lot easier than it looks, don't let the longish list of ingredients scare you!

As an added bonus, it's cheap as hell too. Even buying all the ingredients, it only cost us about $30 and it feeds about 4. And once you have the oils and spices and things, they'll go for much more than one batch.

Thai Peanut Chicken Pasta

20 minutes plus prep

4 servings

Ingredients

12 ounces linguine (3/4 pound)

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, sliced into short strips

2 1/2 cups broccoli florets

1/2 cup green onions, chopped

1 1/2  cups carrots, shredded

6 tablespoons fresh garlic, minced

2 1/2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more to taste)

1/3 cup unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts, crushed

3 tablespoons olive oil

4 tablespoons sesame oil

3 tablespoons rice vinegar

1/4 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup honey

1/4 cup creamy peanut butter

Directions

1. Cook pasta in a large pot of salted water according to package directions.  Drain well, return to pot, and stir in 2 tbsp of sesame oil.

2. Heat the olive oil in a skillet or wok over high heat.  Add the chicken, 3 tbsp of garlic, and 1 1/2 tbsp of ginger.

2. Heat the other 2 tbsp of sesame oil over medium-high heat in a pot or large sauce pan.  Add green onions, carrots, broccoli florets, and the rest of the garlic and ginger (3 tbsp and 1 tbsp, respectively).

3. Cook both, stirring frequently, until the chicken is golden and the vegetables are soft. 

4. Toss the chicken in with the vegetables, discarding the remaining oil and seasonings in the skillet.

5. Add the honey, peanut butter, soy sauce, vinegar, cayenne pepper and crushed peanuts.  Mix well and simmer for 2 minutes.

6. Pour the sauce over the pasta in the large pot and toss well to mix.

Edited by Daeval

Uber kickass dish from the looks of it.

I'll try cooking it tomorrow or when ever I get some chicken breasts.

Like all expermintations, the pasta is optional!

Sound tasty :P

But honestly, I have never seen such dishes at Thailand :D

Well, they'll call this "thai" when you get it in restauraunts in the states. I have no idea whether it's actually a Thai dish or not. :D

Well, I dun think so :) But it is worth a good try :D

Edited by L.S.D

speakin of thia food , anbody ever had fried <a  style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=ice%20cream" onmouseover="window.status='ice cream'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">ice cream</a> before? stupid thai cottage lol

It's not neccessary Thai.

But I dun like it.

Make my teeth hurt with hot and cold at the same time :P

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that. The pasta is optional but it works well.

If you're going to try and go no-pasta, stir-fry style, I would definately reduce the amount of sauce ingredients. This recipe will result in a slightly soupy sauce that does a good job of coating the noodles, but would be kind of weird to eat on its own.

I haven't tried it yet, but this would probably also work well over rice. I would think a dry, long grain rice would be better than a sticky variety, but I'm not a chef by trade. :P

You could also leave out the chicken and reduce the proportions to get a good vegetables-and-noodles side dish.

Sliced red peppers or sprouts might do well in this as well.

Let me know how it turns out!

Someone mentioned fried ice cream.. I think that's a Mexican thing - at least, it's the signature dessert of all the mexican restauraunts in my city (which is basically on the border). It's tasty stuff.

Edited by Daeval

speakin of thia food , anbody ever had fried <a  style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=ice%20cream" onmouseover="window.status='ice cream'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">ice cream</a> before? stupid thai cottage lol

But I dun like it.

Dude, like, wtf?

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that. The pasta is optional but it works well.

If you're going to try and go no-pasta, stir-fry style, I would definately reduce the amount of sauce ingredients. This recipe will result in a slightly soupy sauce that does a good job of coating the noodles, but would be kind of weird to eat on its own.

I haven't tried it yet, but this would probably also work well over rice. I would think a dry, long grain rice would be better than a sticky variety, but I'm not a chef by trade. :D

You could also leave out the chicken and reduce the proportions to get a good vegetables-and-noodles side dish.

Sliced red peppers or sprouts might do well in this as well.

Let me know how it turns out!

Maybe I'll try experminting with more then just pasta stuff. Maybe various types of rice, give more or less make it like a stew possibly.

I hate cooking, but experminting is fun as hell, especially when you have to eat force it with at others.

Edited by K`dash

speakin of thia food , anbody ever had fried <a  style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=ice%20cream" onmouseover="window.status='<a  style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=ice%20cream" onmouseover="window.status='ice cream'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">ice cream</a>'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">ice cream</a> before? stupid thai cottage lol

But I dun like it.

Dude, like, wtf?

Duh, how did the link show up? :D

Anyway, we are talking about fried ice cream there :D