Nebula 2.24

Robert

I just set up Nebula 2.24, and I would like any tips / tricks that would be useful.

It looks a lot like kawaks, but with less options. I don't know how many games it supports, it doesn't say. I counted the non-workers which came to 12. With Garou, the 5 key did nothing so I couldn't play it. Other games were playable though.

It is quite a lot slower than Kawaks. How can I make it go faster?

The only romlist export is for romcenter, so some programming is needed for my rom manager.

As I said, ANY information will be gratefully accepted. :(

I've never had any key problems in Nebula, just edit the NEOGEO.DAT and add support to your sets. Go with the fix value of 0 first or look at the other games' data for help.

If you're using a Loader, I don't see why you would need a RomManager... unless you absolutely want sets that are 100% up-to-par with the dumps out there. But still.

For a performance increase, disable sound interpolation and drop the sound frequency. Also do not use any advance blitter/filters or custom resolutions.

Some blitter hit performance harder than others.

Usually Video Memory is faster for surface allocation.

Disabling vSync and/or triple buffering makes the the games more playable but you'll experience a bit more jerkiness, with normal and parallax scrolling.

Enabling/disabling sprite transparency and raster effects might also help.

Finally, what are your computer specs?

Edited by Agozer

neogeo.dat.... something i'll have too learn about... what format to use and so on.

my computer (don't laugh) is a 333mhz with 192megs of ram, 2x 40 gig HD running win95.

I'll try the other suggestions in the morning, it 2:30 am and i'm going to bed now.

neogeo.dat.... something i'll have too learn about... what format to use and so on.

my computer (don't laugh) is a 333mhz with 192megs of ram, 2x 40 gig HD running win95.

I'll try the other suggestions in the morning, it 2:30 am and i'm going to bed now.

The format for the DAT can be found here: http://www.1emulation.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4912

They are identical to Kawaks. Does Nebula 2.24 have a loader? If so, then you can add newer games to the neogeo.dat (which you'll find in the DAT folder) just like you would add them to ASR.DAT for Kawaks loader.

Also, in the settings there is a bar which lets you change how much processing power Nebula can use. Highest is 15 I think and the default is around 10 maybe, I'm not sure since I haven't used Nebula in quite a while.

The format for the DAT can be found here: http://www.1emulation.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4912

They are identical to Kawaks. Does Nebula 2.24 have a loader? If so, then you can add newer games to the neogeo.dat (which you'll find in the DAT folder) just like you would add them to ASR.DAT for Kawaks loader.

Also, in the settings there is a bar which lets you change how much processing power Nebula can use. Highest is 15 I think and the default is around 10 maybe, I'm not sure since I haven't used Nebula in quite a while.

Nebula 2.24 does indeed have a loader, that's what I use. I really wouldn't fiddle too much with the priority setting, since usually anything higher than normal (0 = default) can do more harm than good.

Edited by Agozer

The loader is a separate executable but it works just like nebula.exe. The thing I like about Nebula DATs is that you can add a game it and even if the ROM set doesn't match, it will show up on the list. And yes, you just add the info to it and it should show up.

I've found and dl'd nebula 2.23c, and the nebula 2.24 loader. It seems that the neogeo romsets in 2.23 are not the standard mame ones. Now, I will write the interface between the romcenter dat file and my rom manager. (Allows my system to create romsets specifically for nebula).

Edited by robbbert