MP3 Goes 5.1

The file format that inspired millions of downloads hopes to inspire music fans to do something else: buy more speakers. Now officially released by the Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Circuits IIS and Thomson, coinventors of the MP3 format, the new MP3 Surround supports 5.1 multichannel sound.

"We asked ourselves, where can music go?" explains Henri Linde, Thomson's vice president of new business, intellectual property, and licensing. "It seemed that surround sound was the logical evolution for us." To encourage people to exploit the multichannel advantages of the new file format, free MP3 Surround encoders will be available until the end of 2005. After that, the encoders will be subject to typical licensing fees.

Software to play MP3 Surround tracks in all their multichannel glory will remain free of charge, and the files will be backward compatible with existing MP3 players. Older players, however, will play back the files as conventional stereo tracks. Consumers will have to purchase new MP3 players and CD players if they want to decode the full MP3 Surround experience. Thomson officials claim that the encoding technology, developed by Agere Systems, increases MP3 files sizes only "marginally."

The new MP3 format may also inspire people to get more powerful systems. According to Thomson, encoding music in surround-sound mode increases the computational workload by about 50 percent over stereo encoding.

Yahoo. Audiophiles like me will like this... well I'm not quite that hardcore if I use Mp3 am I... :lol:

Your not hardcore.

I am, however, a hardcore Audiophile. I can tell the difference between 128 and 320 MP3 too 500 ogg files. YEAH! MP3! BIGGER, LARGER, BETTER SOUND, SHEIT QUALITY!

Waaay lost, there has been more attempts with open based source based codecs and aac. Do the right thing and ditch MP3 for it's bigger brother.

mp3 are veery good, the sound quality os good too, mp3 is wonbderful except for the ringing effects, sometimes i actually think there is truly someone at the door :lol:

mp3's quality compared too all other lossy formats show that it is by far the 2nd most inferior lossy audio codec. It's not even good enough to save on space.

mp3 are veery good, the sound quality os good too, mp3 is wonbderful except for the ringing effects, sometimes i actually think there is truly someone at the door <_<

mp3's quality compared too all other lossy formats show that it is by far the 2nd most inferior lossy audio codec. It's not even good enough to save on space.

then what's the best??? my uncle thinks it's wma since he put 64k wma on his mp3 player and saves a lot of space but the sound is still good( i dunno about that since i haven't listen to them)

For saving space for an mp3 player, it is recommended to use WMA because of it's compression and quality control when used compared to MP3. For high quality lossy audio files (from CD too digital audio) it is best to use Musepack. For personal computer use, I recommend both re-encode MP3 files too Musepack(mp3 vbr is highly recommended to re-re-encode into Vorbis OGG or Musepack because MP3 wasn't built to fully optimize the Variable Bitrate OGG and Musepack take).

If you are really into quality, go Lossless audio codecs. Best quality, practically 1:1 to actual audio discs. Freelossless Audio Codec, FLAC, is the best one for saving space out of all the lossless audio codecs. However, using lossless codecs require you to have the original source of the audio (be it a WAV file originally or an audio cd ripped into WAV).

Edited by K`dash