CoinOPSs naming conventions

BritneysPAIRS

I want all roms tagged with core  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

instead of

"Sonic the Hedgehog 1"

"Sonic the Hedgehog 2"

"Super Mario Mario 64"

"Killer Instinct 1"

"Street Fighter Alpha 3"

the list will read

"Sonic the Hedgehog 1- Neogenesis Megadrive"

"Sonic the Hedgehog 2 -Neogenesis Megadrive"

"Super Mario 64 - Surreal64 Nintendo"

"Killer Instinct 1 - KIxxx 1 Arcade"

"Street Fighter Alpha 3 - Final Burn Legends Arcade "

to appear on all 10000 console games and 100s of arcade games...this is sample only alot more tags will need adding

please post your name of support publically if you want this...ill ignor the xtras people and new people as they are normally the same few reposting....and ill need a few to publically admit they want this....and then I can say well all these people wanted it

I dont know any normal person that wants this....

so waal get ignored...+T+ gets ignored...bigby gets excepted if he publically says it....remember you must publically say it or I wont be doing it...it will take me 5mins to add if you want it

This can't be a vote if people are ignored.

True democrats should boycott this parody of poll but I'll vote silly anyway.

Also a honest man must tell the true reason for this:

Suggestion from an author of Surreal64 sent through PM to BP after he made an "offer" >>>>>>

I don't have any interest to support Surreal64 for CoinOPS. If you are going to add our work in the future, I would ask that you make it apparent to the user that they are launching someone else's core. For example: "Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time Launching with Surreal64 XXX B5 - 1964" or "Sonic the Hedgehog Launching with NeoGenesis v20" Surreal

I completely agree with this. If CoinOPS displayed this text when launching cores and had full credits to the developers who ported those cores accessible from within the UI, I would have no problems with CoinOPS at all and I'm sure most of your project's other critics would agree. I appreciate you've worked hard integrating these cores and have added a few new bells and whistles, but at the end of the day CoinOPS is just a frontend for other people's work and needs to be presented as such. You can't take credit for the whole cake when all you have provided is the cherry on top.

well you picked the one bit you wanted to...its never happening...never...no one wants to see that........you guys cherry pick one bit out of everything always....

so thats my final answer......I dont add my own name anywhere........and I dont give credit and if I did Haze would be it....he gave the dream to us all...if I look thought the sources his name is all over it.....

so you can go on about something ill never ever change.....thats up to you...I know what you mean and I know I wont ever be doing it....no one I showed wants to see this.....they dont care

I think people do want to see this. I think people would want to see respect for the developers who have worked so hard to bring these emulators to the Xbox. I also think your users would like to see the new Surreal64 in CoinOPS. From what you've posted it's clear the developer's did not say no, they merely asked you to make it clear which emulator cores CoinOPS uses to launch it's games and you said no to that.

If you really believe no one wants this then why not start one of your polls entitled "Should CoinOPS display which emulator is being used to launch a game in order to show proper regard to the developers?"

Frankly, I don't think you'd get many 'no' votes to that from this community.

It's obviously a long way for BP to learn to be civilian.

Edited by waal

This whole argument is ridiculous. Each and every emulator on the Xbox is a port of an existing, Windows-based emulator. The original authors are SOMETIMES mentioned in the read-me, but never in the emulator itself as far as I know.

I have an idea - Add an "about box" in Coinops and every other emulator that says something like:

"GENESIS emulation provided by NeoGenesis, ported to the Xbox by XPORT from the Windows emulator Gens by XXXX"

Hell, you know, while you're at it, why not credit the actual engineers who created the Megadrive in the first place or maybe Sega themselves? I'm sure they'd appreciate it!!

(If you can't tell I'm being sarcastic)

Edited by PhilExile

I agree, an about box is fine, listing it after each and every game is crazy. Credit where credit is due but not going overboard. Usually a readme is enough as in the end most people don't care who did what, they just want to use it.

This whole argument is ridiculous. Each and every emulator on the Xbox is a port of an existing, Windows-based emulator. The original authors are SOMETIMES mentioned in the read-me, but never in the emulator itself as far as I know.

I have an idea - Add an "about box" in Coinops and every other emulator that says something like:

"GENESIS emulation provided by NeoGenesis, ported to the Xbox by XPORT from the Windows emulator Gens by XXXX"

Hell, you know, while you're at it, why not credit the actual engineers who created the Megadrive in the first place or maybe Sega themselves? I'm sure they'd appreciate it!!

(If you can't tell I'm being sarcastic)

I'm sorry to have to tell you that your reaction is silly, Phil. You often talked about your real life activity so I'm certain you know what a signature means. Both in terms of symbol and in term of rights.

Now, a good solution would be to work on categories... But whatever... Everything is done so that idiot above can find an excuse... Or just put an about box like Phrunt suggests. After all it's all we're asking for.

but never in the emulator itself as far as I know.

Oh btw, you're absolutely wrong about this. Surreal, FBA-XXX, Final Burn Legends, NestopiaX, ZsnesXbox, Xport-Madmab emus... many come to mind. So if the initial authors have put credit screens their will must be respected. And if they only put a text file in the archive, it must be kept or at least they must be mentioned.

If this poll wasn't biased, I would say :

Voting NO is totally disrespectful to the scene and to developpers.

Voting YES may encourage some people to continue or even to start developing on the xbox.

Voting "I don't need any emu, BP himself is my favorite emulator" means you agree with me and then gimme'five o'brotha' :)

Be responsible, don't act like a sheep...uh I mean a consumer.

Edited by waal

This whole forum is getting ridiculous - both sides. I don't see the point of it. I'll just chat with you all via IM/IRC. Your all fine one-on-one, but the forums create some sort of mental-retardation field.

Oh btw, you're absolutely wrong about this. Surreal, FBA-XXX, Final Burn Legends, NestopiaX, ZsnesXbox, Xport-Madmab emus... many come to mind. So if the initial authors have put credit screens their will must be respected. And if they only put a text file in the archive, it must be kept or at least they must be mentioned.

Surreal - not sure about - haven't played with it yet

FBL , Nestopia, ZNes - Can't recall, but I will check as I use them all except ZNes. :)

Xport-Madmab - Where? I just looked at the v1 readme for NeoGenesis and it only mentions that its a port of Gens. No where is the original author name given. Additionally, its not in the GUI of the emu anywhere. I use those all the time and I'm sure its not included in the interface. I don't really feel they need to be either.

I know why you have a beef with BP and he with you, but I don't see the objective of either side feeding into it. Its not like one day either of you is going to wake up and say: Hell, I see it their way now! Let me apologize in a post.

I'm not posting in response to any of it anymore.

This whole forum is getting ridiculous - both sides. I don't see the point of it. I'll just chat with you all via IM/IRC. Your all fine one-on-one, but the forums create some sort of mental-retardation field.

So why do you bother answering ?

But yeah I agree, this forum SECTION is ridiculous since a long time and we know because of who.

Surreal - not sure about - haven't played with it yet

FBL , Nestopia, ZNes - Can't recall, but I will check as I use them all except ZNes. :)

Xport-Madmab - Where? I just looked at the v1 readme for NeoGenesis and it only mentions that its a port of Gens. No where is the original author name given. Additionally, its not in the GUI of the emu anywhere. I use those all the time and I'm sure its not included in the interface. I don't really feel they need to be either.

Surreal: Go check, there's a scroller where everyone is credited since DAY ONE.

FBL, Nestopia, ZSNES: Readme file included and viewable through the GUI

Xport-Madmab: same as above. And also a static picture as intro. Both during Xport then Madmab era.

I know why you have a beef with BP and he with you, but I don't see the objective of either side feeding into it. Its not like one day either of you is going to wake up and say: Hell, I see it their way now! Let me apologize in a post.

I'm not posting in response to any of it anymore.

I'm sorry but your answer was actually side feeding like you say. Again, if you don't care then it's best to stay silent.

Whatever. Believe me, that won't change my life. It's just I like to play sooo much with BP. He's my fav emu on the xbox. I realized that recently.

Cheers. I hope next time we'll chat we'll talk about graphic design and video games again. I'd like to show you some european designers you'll surely enjoy and many other things.

Best for both of us, eh ? :)

Edited by waal

So is it settled, everyone will stop fighting if it gets an About Coinops option where you can see credits and so on?

The idea of having the emulator used after each game is going overboard but an About Coinops is a nice idea and those who care will use it, most won't but at least it's there if people want to know who did what.