Just bought a GBA

Topic says it all, I just picked up a GBA and I'm wondering what flash cart solution I should use.

Here are my needs (Or rather wants, as I'm not sure if these are all possible).

1: Only need a cart big enough to hold the largest game available. I don't need a cart capable of holding dozens of games at once, though that would be nice if the price isn't much more than a small cart.

2: Want a solution able to run original Gameboy\Gameboy Color games. Is this even possible or will I require an emulator?

3: If I require an emulator for #2, something well suited for homebrew.

Are there solutions that make use of SD cards? Not mini or micro SD, I don't own and will not purchase those.

Also, off-topic.......why the hell am I a moderator for the handheld forum? I haven't owned a handheld since the original Gameboy!

Topic says it all, I just picked up a GBA and I'm wondering what flash cart solution I should use.

Here are my needs (Or rather wants, as I'm not sure if these are all possible).

1: Only need a cart big enough to hold the largest game available. I don't need a cart capable of holding dozens of games at once, though that would be nice if the price isn't much more than a small cart.

2: Want a solution able to run original Gameboy\Gameboy Color games. Is this even possible or will I require an emulator?

3: If I require an emulator for #2, something well suited for homebrew.

Are there solutions that make use of SD cards? Not mini or micro SD, I don't own and will not purchase those.

Also, off-topic.......why the hell am I a moderator for the handheld forum? I haven't owned a handheld since the original Gameboy!

I used an EFA 256Mbit cart with my GBA and GBA SP. EFA's carts are very high quality, have great compatibility (even with DS ROMs), and have plenty of cool features. I still have it, if you are interested in buying.

1. A 512Mbit cart would probably fit your needs. I think it would be able to hold 2-10 games (depending on their size) since I don't recall GBA games getting much bigger than 128Mbit. I could get about 5 or six small games on my 256Mbit flash cart, so yeah, 512Mbit should be fine. Note: EFA also makes the EFA-II 1Gbit flash cart, which acts as a U-disk (USB storage device) as well as a GBA flash cart.

2. The GBA can run original GB/GBC carts, so no worries there. The DS was the first system that was not backwards compatible with all other Nintendo handhelds.

3. It is not possible to play GBC ROMs on a GBA, unless you either use Goomba Color (a modified version of Goomba, a GB emulator for GBA), which is still an alpha version (so don't count on it working very well), or a GB Bridge.

And yes, you can get slot-2 flash cards that will take a full sized SD card. I'd recommend an M3 Perfect SD. Ask Rag if he still has the one I sold him. :P

The M3 Perfect SD is very costly at $75, what about the Supercard SD, which seems to go for around $44?

An SD solution isn't mandatory here, I just figured it would be easiest and cheapest. Which doesn't seem to be the case entirely, and the largest SD card I have is 256MB so I guess I could go with a 256MB+ solid state FC if it makes more sense.

What do you recommend for a 256MB+ card that won't run me more than a Supercard SD? And what are you looking to get for your EFA?

I don't want to spend a ton of money here, I only need the ability to fire up a game (Even if I can only put 1 on at a time, I don't care) and run some emulators.

The M3 Perfect SD is very costly at $75, what about the Supercard SD, which seems to go for around $44?

An SD solution isn't mandatory here, I just figured it would be easiest and cheapest. Which doesn't seem to be the case entirely, and the largest SD card I have is 256MB so I guess I could go with a 256MB+ solid state FC if it makes more sense.

What do you recommend for a 256MB+ card that won't run me more than a Supercard SD? And what are you looking to get for your EFA?

I don't want to spend a ton of money here, I only need the ability to fire up a game (Even if I can only put 1 on at a time, I don't care) and run some emulators.

Just to make sure everything is clear, 1 megabyte = 8 megabits (GBA ROMs are usually measured in megabits). My EFA flash cart is 256 megabits, so it holds much less (32 megabytes) than your 256 megabyte SD card (256 megabytes = 2048 megabits). Also, I don't know of any GBA/slot-2 devices that accept SD cards in addition to built-in flash memory.

The SuperCard SD would be fine. I usually don't recommend it since it doesn't have great compatibility with NDS homebrew, but since you'd be using it on GBA, it would do what you need it to do. Just make sure you get the one that will fit in a GBA (not the SC Slim).

If you are still interested in my EFA 256Mbit cart, I'd like to sell it for $20 USD (19.47 CAD) + shipping. I'll accept a different offer, tho, within reason.

Well aware of the 8/1 Mb/MB thing, just wasn't thinking when it came to that. And by 256+ I meant 256 or more, not in addition to SD lol

I'm pretty interested in your unit, I've read up on it and it should be enough for what I'd need. I don't think there are any games larger than 128MBit that I'd want to play. Metroid Fusion and Metroid Zero Mission will fit on it, anything else that could possibly not fit is sort of an "Oh well" as far as I'm concerned, I'll just play em on my PC/Xbox.

I'll PM you with my address so you can find out how much it will cost you to ship, as well as any other stuff that the rest of the world need not be involved in. :P

• 1 month later...

Ok well after 2 months, the seller never sent my GBA or replied to any of my emails. I got my money back through Paypal so it's all good.

Now I'm stuck with the Flash Cart I bought off Mooney, and I'm wondering now just what my options are if I bought a DS instead.

1: Can I still use this thing for GBA on the DS?

2: Can I use it for DS roms, and do I require other hardware, like a PassME or something?

3: If 2 is true, what other hardware and how much am I looking at spending?

4: It's 256Mbit, is that enough to put a DS game on?

If I'm going to have to spend alot more money on DS stuff, and the flash cart I already have isn't big enough for most titles........I'll just stick with buying another GBA.

Ok well after 2 months, the seller never sent my GBA or replied to any of my emails. I got my money back through Paypal so it's all good.

Now I'm stuck with the Flash Cart I bought off Mooney, and I'm wondering now just what my options are if I bought a DS instead.

1: Can I still use this thing for GBA on the DS?

2: Can I use it for DS roms, and do I require other hardware, like a PassME or something?

3: If 2 is true, what other hardware and how much am I looking at spending?

4: It's 256Mbit, is that enough to put a DS game on?

If I'm going to have to spend alot more money on DS stuff, and the flash cart I already have isn't big enough for most titles........I'll just stick with buying another GBA.

Sorry to hear that you didn't get the GBA. :P

1. Yes.

2. Yes, you will need a PassMe/NoPass device. Read here for more info.

3. See above. Not much, $20 or less (probably less).

4. It can hold DS ROMs up to 32MB. 64MB and 128MB ROMs are too large.

Thanks Mooney, I just looked at one of the very few DS roms I have. MP Hunters, 64MB. I'm not so sure a DS is a good idea for me here, as by the looks of it most of the games I'd want to play are 64MB+.

Be pretty hard to convince my wife that buying a DS is a good idea. While I make most of the money here, we're still on a level playing field, and she was ok with the GBA because I saved like $50 on the new shoes I bought versus what I'd normally pay in a store.

I think I'll have to sleep on it, as a DS is $140 (I'm not doing Ebay, I looked and for some retarded reason people seem to be paying very close to retail, even more with shipping in some cases.........people are dumb). Then I'd need that PassME AND a larger flash cart.

Mooney, the wife's cool with me buying a DS, I'll be getting one after Christmas as one of my presents (And I'll be using gift cards I know I'm getting to pay for it in part).

There's some things I'd like to know though.

I can keep the flash cart I bought off you, and run GBA games just like I would on a GBA right?

This would mean, I could buy a DS flash cart and not a passme, for just running DS games right? What do you suggest that I get? I want enough space, or the option for SD cards, to run 64MBit+ games, and I just want the cart for DS stuff alone.