Good News!

Shibathedog

I would not be to happy about this if you have the cd with this protection you still have to enable to play or get a mac or linux to do the job.

at (Mod edit: no romsites kthx, forums or otherwise)

Birdcat posted this:

Recieved this in an email from my dad this morning. He didn't include a source link, but I asked him for one, still waiting. If they go through with this, I won't recognize Sony as a console/game maker. Period.

Saturday, November 12, 2005

New Sony lockware prevents selling or loaning of games

Sony has filed for a patent for a technology to tether a video-game to a console so that you can't sell it, loan it out, play it on a new console after your existing one is stolen or damaged, etc. Some speculate that this is intended for use with the PS3, but wherever it's deployed, it's very consistent with Sony's ongoing contempt for its customers. Once you've installed rootkits onto everyone's PCs, what's a little unfair trade practices aimed at killing the aftermarket?

The technology would allow an authentication code to be read and then rendered unreadable, making the software unplayable on any machine but the one which first read it.

more is stated in the above link.

Edited by Agozer

I didn't see that, but I know which forum Birdcat is on..

The writer of FCEUXD, along with others, have discovered that the Sony protection code, written by First4Internet, has violated several licences by including other people's work as their own. Sony have hidden this fact (or they didn't know).

More (rather technical) stuff is HERE.

Haha, I was just about to post that. Muzzy, along with the writes of that blog were the first to discover the questionable components that First 4 Internet used in its XCP protection.

I say bury those flockers.

Sony BMG is indeed knee-deep in all this, and First 4 Internet gets their fair share, since they were the ones who "coded" the XCP in the first place.

If it wasn't for Mark Russinov(sp?) who knows what would have happened.