[03/03/05] Tekken 5

Game: Tekken 5

System: Playstation 2, Arcade

Emulators: ahhahahhahaha....

t5front4bz.th.jpg t5back4ph.th.jpg

*Based on both the aracde and PS2 version. First part is based on the arcade, second part is based on the PS2's extras. Other times I'll just mix both stuff in because i'm lazy to split it. Review of the extras that came with it are afterwards, such as the artbook and the stick.

Tekken 5 was released days ago, and now, here it is.

The 5th King of the Iron Fist tournement is being held yet again, with returns from the past. Such as Baek & Wang make a return in this game, along with new several new characters, such as Asuka Kazama(Jin's cousin), a character based on Jun's style in T2/TTT, Feng Wei, kick ass monk, Raven, a ninja(who also looks like Blade/Snipes in Blade), and this year's host, Jinpachi(Not playable), Heihachi's father, Kazuya grandfather, Jin's great-granddaddeh!

After putting the game back towards a mix of T4 and TTT(play style almost similar to TTT now, and return of infinitily large levels + boundry like levels in T4). Playing the game really feels like the old versions (less T4-likeness imo, but getting ground raped is easier I find, particurally because of Christie/Eddy.) Old characters return with tweaked and/or improved move lists. Baek & Wang have been updated to the newer engine by far. Feng Wei, plays extremely interesting, and fast. I haven't fully used him because he isn't grabbing me like the other characters. Raven hits the spot with some crazy moves and style(with a woven basket for a head, a little inside joke around here). Asuka, who is based on Jun's style somewhat, grabbed in also(and threw me to the ground her counter). I wasn't a Jun player during the old TTT days, but using Asuka is from what I hear, better then Jun. Although her counters and moves aren't as majorly inflicting, you can deal damages with her threw mixing up what you got.

Another new thing brought into the game is character customizations, which to looks like a plane carbon copy of Viruta Fighter 4's(system wise anyways). Making characters look the way you want them too look, however, it does seem limited, to each costume, seeing as each character has 2. The limitions don't hold justice when you want to fully change your character like in VF4. But fear not, for the home version comes with 2 more extra costumes percharacter. Not editable though. Which is a real down.

For thsoe who bought this at home, or those who are consider buying this, you'll find a handful of extras, such as Arcade perfect ports of Tekkens 1, 2 and 3 (No TTT or T4 here folks, just go out and buy em).

There is also a small mode called "Devil Within," a beatemup game based on Jin to learn more about his past and his genes. While boring and repeative, if you want to learn more about Jin, play it. Characters also got extras, but from what I see, no more items added to each character (telling between my Asuka here and at the arcade). Also the lack of more then one profile per card is a real let down. Seeing as how half the characters I have are already in Kyus and Dans. The basic extras from the last games are here, such as Time Attack, Theater Mode, Soundtrack mode, Story Mode etc.

Replayablity is there, but it isn't worth a whole bunch seeing as you can get all the characters within a good 14 hour session with 3 friends helping you out. Most of the replaying will be for items anyways. But like I said, the custom system feels limited compared to VF4, so either do it all for one character or just skip it enterily.

Graphically, the game looks amazing, on par and even more better looking then Virtua Fighter and DOA3. Models and levels look detailed and very nice with the low poly models. 2 Levels you'll love is the Burning Temple and the Moon lit Field of white flowery stuff.

Sounds of it are good, effects are clear and threw, no distortion inbetween, althougth the audio selection sucks(While we were playing, we turned off the music after a few hours and just started listening to music on my comp on random).

Controls were very responsive, althougth some user-related problems such as one of our sticks crapping out on us. Controls feel within a small confinedment, maybe it's because I play Virtua Fighter 4.

Seeing how this is the anniversary of Tekken. I pre-ordered the bundle. And it was well worth it. The arcade stick feels and smells amazing. Very responsive and comfortable. Although it was being advertised as a HORI Real Arcade Pro stick, it is not a real HORI RAP stick, it is still worth wild. Compared to the quality sticks we North Americans get, this bundle is a steal and the stick itself is worth more then the bundle it self, even if it's not a RAP stick. The case to hold the previous Tekken games is very nice, and feels metal. The artbook showing the various Tekken's over the years is wonderful extra. I hear you can also get it by purchusing the game itself without the bundle.

Random note on how I got everything so quickly; I got T5 during a LAN Party, we ended up playing it, getting most of the endings and all the characters. We also played Zelda, but thats another random post.

Hands down, this is the best Tekken besides Tekken 4 to me. For all those who dislike Tekken 4, this could be the greatest Tekken next to TTT(or Ever if you want).

Controls: 7

Gameplay: 7

Graphics: 8

Sound: 6

Overall Score: 7

Grade: C

(...you must get this game now..)

Edit: My new name in Tekken 5 will be Aaaaah! Hentai! KYAAAAAA!

I also fixed the date! I got the game on the 27th :P But didn't write this until Wedsenday the 2nd.

Edited by K`dash

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to assume your "one profile per card" applies only to the arcade?

Also, can you use 2 memory cards to pit 2 different people's customized characters against each other? (As you could in VF4 but not in Evo)

Also, can you use 2 memory cards to pit 2 different people's customized characters against each other?  (As you could in VF4 but not in Evo)

No, what I meant for the home version, you can only have one profile per memory card. In VF4 you can have multipile profile for each character per card. Here you have one profile, for all characters per card.

Edited by K`dash

Also, can you use 2 memory cards to pit 2 different people's customized characters against each other?  (As you could in VF4 but not in Evo)

No, what I meant for the home version, you can only have one profile per memory card. In VF4 you can have multipile profile for each character per card. Here you have one profile, for all characters per card.

Ah, got it. Not gamebreaking, but weak sauce nonetheless.

I have to DISAGREE!!!!

tekken 5 ratings from me

Controls: 8

Gameplay: 9

Graphics: 10

Sound: 7

Overall Score: 9

Grade: A

Best. 3D Fighter. Ever.

Now I may be a bit bias here because I am playing tekken 5 PS2..inside a neogeo 2 slot MVS-2 arcade cab...

http://hardmvs.com/xml/usa/MVS-2-25/MVS-2-25.jpg

(Stock photo)

I have an xbox in there already and i had my ps2 as my home TV console\DVD player...But since the release of Tekken 5 I wired the PS2 into the arcade machine !!!...just for this game!...since it is a 4-button fighter and my cab is 2-player 4-button cab it fits sooo perfectly...and let me say It is identical graphically to the arcade version down the street at the store...

PS2, Arcade, same thing. I used sticks on the PS2 my friend. We did not use controllers, at all.

Tested it out with the offical stick HORI stick that came with the game and my own crappy Nuby *now customized* sticks because they absolutely suck. The Sawada stick(the actual stick, not the whole thing) is, bear with me now, the exact same one used in the Tekken 5 cabs. The buttons however, are completely different since you are playing it curved L

B C D
A

while we played it, like the original arcade version, boxed

1 2
3 4

Graphically, yes it does look wonderful for a PS2 game, But I loath anything related to Sony, and since Namco uses a PS2-like hardware board, I've come to terms that yes, they do look similar, but graphic whores, people with extremely good eyes for identifying, can tell small differences between the two. Just like how audiophiles can tell the god damn difference between actual CD audio and a 320kbps mp3 file.

Theres better out there man. DOA can't touch this, but VF4 Evo, which is a year older(a year now I think) is better then this(albit, by a bit, control differences are easy to adjust too, weak sauce on one profile per mem. card + custom items). I'll never be able to get a VF4 evo card =(. But I got my T5 one somewhere IN MY ROOM!

I'm sticking to my grade because T5 plays similar too TTT and T3, which I both absolutely hate with a moderately strong passion for and the fact that music selection blows, and it looks pretty, for old hardware, but at best, only 2 levels actually stand out of the crowd compared to the rest.

i used to have a system 248 in an original mint cond tekken 4 cab...had to sell it but the system 248 is funny...it would play my backup dvd-r of tekken 4.D arcade disc and soul calibur 2 arcade disc with no mod chip...funnny cause the ps2 is exactly the same but they added a bunch of protection measures...

but for anyone looking for a nice real PCB system 248 has a decent size library of discs that are all copyable just like ps2 dvd-r...you just need a friend at an arcade distributor house to lend you the discs 1 at a time to dub

I was going to post a review tonight (i said i was going to do it earlier, but work got in the way), but since kdash reviewed it, i guess theres no need for it now. ah well. theres always work to be done on the gradius v and daioujou, and galuda review...