[01/13/05] Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction

Game: Mercinaries: Playground of Destruction

System: Xbox, PS2

Emulators: none

######################################

the company line:

ACTION PACKED COMBAT IN A PLAYGROUND OF DESTRUCTION. Mercenaries is a revolutionary, third person action-shooter game set in the near future and inspired by real world events. On the eve of an historic reunification of North and South Korea, a ruthless general stages a military coup, takes control of North Korea and then threatens the world with nuclear war. In response, the international community launches a global task force to stabilize the country.

what it all means:

Mercinaries is an "open ended" game much like the GTA series. you get your missions from different countries' military leaders within North Korea. your main goal is to capture or kill the deck of 52. the main players in North Korea's army. much like the card deck the us gov. put out for iraq. but to find them you must do missions for the other countries. besides all that there are also secrets to be found. or you could just go crazy and plant c4 on the hood of a jeep and drive it into a crowded area :)

######################################

Controls: 9 controls are responsive and feel similer to other 3rd person action games it will take no time to get used to them one note is that piloting helicopters is much easier then in GTA: VC.

Gameplay: 9 Three slightly different characters to play. lots to do, collecting national treasures, and blueprints. or destroying national monuments and listening posts. missions seem to be varied, and what you do effects how other's view you, do to many missions against one organization and they will attack you on sight. another nice touch that I wish was available in GTA is if you get into a vehicle and no one sees, you will be disguised as whatever faction that vehicle belongs to.

Graphics: 7 not the best but it does the job. a few steps above the gta series. explosions look great. the terrain itself looks a little blocky and underpopulated though.

Sound: 7 nothing groundbreaking here. nice background music, good voice acting and sound effects. IDK maybe with surround sound it would be better but straight out of the TV it does the job.

Overall Score: 8

:) overall I would recommend this game to anyone. it barrows enough from GTA to feel familier, yet it's military setting gives it it's own identity.

Edited by garageink

Played the demo and i spent the whole time blowing up everything i could see. Very fun game but i had a problem with the "chunky" blood and some of the not-too-smart AI. All in all its good fun blowing everything to smithereens.

its Destruction...............nice review

spelling nazi :)

How about some screenies?

yeah I didn't bother to post screen shots cuz they are easy to come by at ign, gamestop, gamespot, blah blah blah. but in any future reviews I will include a link to one of those screen shot pages.

Edited by garageink

• 2 weeks later...