registry = ipsRegistry::instance(); $this->settings =& $this->registry->fetchSettings(); } public function getOutput() { return; } public function replaceOutput($output, $key) { require_once( IPSLib::getAppDir('ibprobattle') . '/sources/battleHooks.php' ); $this->battleHook = new battleHooks( $this->registry ); return $this->battleHook->statsTopicView($output, $key); } } ?>registry = ipsRegistry::instance(); $this->settings =& $this->registry->fetchSettings(); } public function getOutput() { require_once( IPSLib::getAppDir('ibprobattle') . '/sources/battleHooks.php' ); $this->battleHook = new battleHooks( $this->registry ); return $this->battleHook->statsTopicViewJS(); } } ?> Upgrading to IP.Board 3.0? - Suggestions Box [/feedback] - 1Emulation.com

Welcome to 1Emulation.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Upgrading to IP.Board 3.0?

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

VT-Vincent

VT-Vincent

Proud Fan

• Staff Members
  • 339 posts
Out of curiosity, are you guys planning on upgrading to IB.Board 3.0? I actually got an email the other day from IPS stating that they plan on discontinuing support for the 2.x series later this year.

I can understand why a lot of people wanted to avoid it at first, mainly due to the lack of hacks as well as the lack of maturity of the code itself, but they have had a lot of time to refine and improve it. While my community isn't nearly as large or busy, I have to say I've had a pretty positive experience with 3.0.

emsley

emsley

Emsley here. That's right.

• 1Emu Veteran
  • 6,772 posts
  • Interests:Yelling.
1emu has become lazy.

Agozer

Agozer

Board Script AI | 16-bit Corpse | The Mummy

• User Admin
  • 19,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games, plain and simple.
I'm all for it - if only GameCop would suddenly appear and offer his thoughts on this.

Robert

Robert

Alchemist

• User Admin
  • 11,642 posts
He is a myth.

Lucandrake

Lucandrake

Chill

• 1Emu Veteran
  • 6,059 posts
  • Interests:The internet is an interest.
Remember the last forum upgrade...

I don't, because the site was down for over a month when it happened.

VT-Vincent

VT-Vincent

Proud Fan

• Staff Members
  • 339 posts
Ouch... forum upgrades can be rough. When I upgrade mine, even for minor releases, I always make multiple backups of the databases and files. I've been pretty lucky so far as I haven't had any completely go south on me but there's always a first time for everything.

ken_cinder

ken_cinder

Cyborg Admin

• User Admin
  • 4,484 posts
  • Interests:Everything

Agreed, and the focus of this site is slow (Emulation itself) and thus use is down in general. There is no incentive to upgrading right now, having the board down and/or losing features to problems that might arise is a bad idea.

Hard Core Rikki

Hard Core Rikki

Proud Fan

• Staff Members
  • 244 posts
  • Interests:Emulation. Among others.
I would advise against an upgrade till mods and theming are resolved at least (no forum attack system, arcade mods or 1emu theme ready in advance for instance).
It's also heavier in load (recently, Neowin updated to v3, and found itself with huge load regardless of how they tried reducing it, to the point of considering switching back to v2.3 . Nothing that cant be fixed of course).

Edited by Hard Core Rikki, 27 January 2010 - 09:41 AM.

Inky

Inky

I ain't old, just out of date.

• Ultra Members
  • 6,123 posts
  • Interests:rockabilly, psychobilly, punk rock, tattoos. I'm married so I don't like girls anymore! :)

this.

anytime 1emu trys to upgrade or change anything the damn site goes down for weeks. :yawntired: leave well enough alone.

emsley

emsley

Emsley here. That's right.

• 1Emu Veteran
  • 6,772 posts
  • Interests:Yelling.
This place was busier when you had the old deep blue skin and forum attack thing going on.
Who cares!?

VT-Vincent

VT-Vincent

Proud Fan

• Staff Members
  • 339 posts
It's not surprising Neowin saw such an increased load... IPB 3.0 is definitely more resource heavy than the previous version. I would actually be curious to see a set of benchmarks on some of the more popular forum applications.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users