Desperate cry for closure

BoomBa_GoosE

okay, so everybody, ive been having this major problem for the longest time now and i am sick and tired of it.

so basically, everytime i load something that i guess u can say takes an amount of memory? i ono. for example, sometimes when im on the web, or playing my mp3s, and especially when im watchin a video file such as anime or movies or whatever, and my computer jus restarts on its own. its like pressing the reset button on its own or sumthin. it basically restarts...thats it. annoyin isnt it??? :)

some say it could be a codec problem but since this sometimes happens when im not watching a film, im guessin it could be somethin else.

my assumption is that it could be my memory, which i doubt it is...but im certainly leaning towards hardware error from my hard-drive since im loading stuff from my hard-drive...

i dont know...can anyone help me out with this or anyone care to take a stab at this pest of a problem??????? :D

care to elaborate?

i mean this problem that i got, it even happens like right after i formatted my comp clean u kno. and once i start to watch stuff, or do sumthin like listening to music, it restarts on its own...it totally bites when ur doin sumthin like typing your paper :)

You got dodgy memory.

Get a memory tester.

http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

Run it, takes TYME though...

It will find it real quick or real slow...

And fi you got more than 1 stick of memory, your gonna have to take a stick out, and leave one stick in wehn testing, just so you get the correct stick that is knackered. :)

Edited by emsley

Emsley's got it, that sounds like bad RAM. Also possibly over-heating, but usually that would have other effects as well (especially on an AMD chip). Time to run the memory checker, one stick at a time. Or if you're using multiple sticks, you could just try running normally with one stick in, and see if it still crashes.

ok, well i went to sleep for like a few hours and i left the mem test running. right now its still goin on.. coverage about 7,000% 2537 cycles and no errors....

so is this thing suppose to stop? am i in good shape according to these numbers?

This could be a heating problem...do you know how to check your CPU temps?

Also, make sure the fan on your video card is running (if it has a fan). My dad had this problem and after examining closer we found that his GeForce2's fan didn't work.

Edited by GryphonKlaw

i think his cpu gets hot and the motherboard shut it down like one of those protection thingy that stop ur cpu from over heating