Need help cleaning my PC!

Klasnikov

Ok long story short my PC is infested with viruses, trojans ect. I've used several anti-viruses and spyware programs but can't get rid of them. I've even formatted my system twice (in a row) using dos format and then windows xp install format. I then installed windows xp and an up-to-date antivirus and my pc is once again infected with countless viruses ect.

Does anyone know of a really, really good format method that will completely annihalate everything on my pc? Clearly the standard format doesn't get everything, unless there's a virus on my windows xp cd... (fully legal so it's not that).

Any help appreciated!

Well, all I can say is:

1. Don't use Internet Explorer, use Mozilla or Opera instead.

2. Get a good software firewall. (TINY Personal Firewall, BitDefender, Norton, ZoneAlarm etc.)

3. Get a good Virus scanning software (Norton, McAfee, F-Secure Antivirus, AntiVir, BitDefender etc.)

4. Get Spybot Search & Destroy + Ad-Aware.

Edited by Agozer

Are those the same viruses that pop up? Are they there even before you use the internet or any other program? Do you have more than one partition where the viruses could be hiding? Can you give us the names of the viruses if you know them?

Those are quite a few questions but it will help us help you.

Ok long story short my PC is infested with viruses, trojans ect. I've used several anti-viruses and spyware programs but can't get rid of them. I've even formatted my system twice (in a row) using dos format and then windows xp install format. I then installed windows xp and an up-to-date antivirus and my pc is once again infected with countless viruses ect.

Does anyone know of a really, really good format method that will completely annihalate everything on my pc? Clearly the standard format doesn't get everything, unless there's a virus on my windows xp cd... (fully legal so it's not that).

Any help appreciated!

I Know How You Feel Dude I Reinstalled My Windows 4 Tymes This Sunday And Again On Monday, And I Suggest That To Use Nortan AntiVirus Because It Now Detects Spay/Ad-Ware And That Should Be The First Thing You In Stall After Windows, And Don't Use IE.

You can use a linux livecd or floppy to zero out all the sectors on the disk, but I doubt that's the source of your problem. What I reckon is happening is that your machine gets infected the moment it goes online.

Try installing the OS with the modem or network connection plugged out or disabled.

Then install a firewall (hopefully you have an offline copy), otherwise enable the default XP firewall (it's crap, but better than nothing).

Enable your network connection.

Go download all the security patches (SP2 is highly recommended) and post-SP2 hotfixes and install then. Do NOT visit any other site other the official MS update site during this phase since the browser is highly broken and vulnerable at this point.

Also, as mentioned before, avoid IE if you can. It's a ticking time bomb.