death wish poll

What's the fastest, most painless way of suicide?  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted for Seppuku. Why?

Because, although being really painful, that's the way real men kick the bucket.

I agree, the only way to up hold honour!

Seppuku is dishonorable suicide

Hairikiri is Honorable

Truth, but in this case I don't think it matters much.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because, although being really painful, that's the way real men kick the bucket.

Hairikiri is Honorable

I always heard that Seppuku is honorable suicide done BECAUSE you did something dishonorable.. Like the right thing to do to make up for something really stupid. While Hairikiri was a more vulgar term for same...

Maybe I have 'em mixed up, or maybe I'm just wrong. :(

I shall have to ask my japanese relatives...

Hairikiri is Honorable

I always heard that Seppuku is honorable suicide done BECAUSE you did something dishonorable...

Actually, I think you're the one who's correct. I misread KyokugenKiss' post.

All this thanks to Peace Maker Kurogane. :(

Edited by Agozer

Seppuku - useally happens when the Head of the household is killed because of a decision and they refuse to commit kill them selves unless their master(Head of the clan, not the emperor) says so.(example: the 47 Ronin)

Hairikiri - An order to cleanse one's self after the death of their master.

There is by far a better explination somewhere on the internet.

Seppuku - useally happens when the Head of the household is killed because of a decision and they refuse to commit kill them selves unless their master(Head of the clan, not the emperor) says so.(example: the 47 Ronin)

Hairikiri - An order to cleanse one's self after the death of their master.

There is by far a better explination somewhere on the internet.

I haven't had a chance to ask my japanese kinfolk (they aren't home yet), but the definitions on m-w.com, as well as this:

http://www.britannica.com/eb/article?tocId...y=hara-kiri&ct=

would point to my interpretation. HaraKiri ("Belly-Cutting") would be the more literal (and therefore more vulgar by japanese standards) term. Granted, those aren't Japanese sources. I'm pretty sure I'm remembering this from a native japanese teacher though.

The internet has owned me with their definations.

Wikimedia to the rescue!

And they do mean the samething. It's just hara-kiri is a more vulgure translation. Hey hey! I was somewhat wrong!

Edited by K`dash

Guys, shouldn't we be more concerned about our suicidal friend than about ancient, no-longer-applicable Japanese customs?

Axl, I understand that you don't want to talk about what's bothering you on a public message board. Instead, find a friend, or (if you'd prefer it to be a stranger) a therapist, or even a priest (any priest worth his salt would help a suicidal person regardless of their religion), and talk it out with them. You'll find that the problem seems alot smaller once you've told someone about it.

Dude, Suiside Really Isn't The Answer I Know You Don't Want Help But Plz, Just Let Me Try Dude, And Consider This I've Seriously Have Has Those Thoughts For Like 2.5 Years Now, And The Stress Level Is Overwhelming For Me Everyday. Dude Plz Pm Me What's So Craptastic Right Now. Plus I Found That Just Chatting With Ppl On Irc And Stuff Really Ease The Stress, I Wouldn't Rec-a-mend Getting A Thereapist, (I've Gone Through 4) They Don't Really Care Evan Though They Seem Like It, It's Better To Talk To A Friend. And If You Really Want To Know I've Always Thought Of Going Out By Jumping.