In the future...PC = XBOX?

Gryph

I read this article and found it rather interesting. We all know that XNA is a Microsoft package that allows for easy development between XBOX and PC but what was really interesting was this paragraph.

To that end, Longhorn will natively support the XNA development system, and Longhorn-based PCs will directly benefit from this. "Xbox 2 peripherals will all work on PC," said Lester, clarifying that Xbox controllers, steering wheels, and other console-related peripheral functionality will all be brought into Longhorn's portfolio, as will Xbox Live functionality. For game players, this will make for, if nothing else, an added convenience, since playing a game on a PC or an Xbox will [ideally] come down to little more than unplugging the controller from one and plugging it in to the other. For game developers, Microsoft hopes that the introduction of XNA will help standardize development on both platforms--to such an extent that "you won't have to choose between Xbox or PC" to develop games...and, ideally, so that players won't have to choose between the two platforms to play these games.

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/09/22/news_6108247.html

So what'll be the point of getting the new console if you can just play the games on the PC and use the same peripherals?

Am I just misinterpreting this? What do you guys think?

Edited by GryphonKlaw

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you're not misinterpreting anything...looks like all Xenon games will be PC-compatible and Vise-versa. I think at that point it comes down to portability and specs alone. I'd have to see the specs of a Xenon and (lets just say) a mid-range (at that time) PC with Longhorn on it.

Umm, I have no clue, but this mostly means nothing to Sony.

But yeah, it's a dev kit that allowed easy porting to PC/other consoles it seems.