In the future...PC = XBOX?

Gryph

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds to me to be more of a hardware deal. Software in general probably won't be compatible, but at the lower levels,  peripherals and other things will just be inter-changeable "Plug and Play"

But XNA is supposed to deal with the software compatibility issue.

This is the most important line in that article:

Microsoft hopes that the introduction of XNA will help standardize development on both platforms--to such an extent that "you won't have to choose between Xbox or PC" to develop games...and, ideally, so that players won't have to choose between the two platforms to play these games.

Making hardware compatible isn't that tough, software is the biatch and the most important part.

Sounds to me to be more of a hardware deal. Software in general probably won't be compatible, but at the lower levels,  peripherals and other things will just be inter-changeable "Plug and Play"

But XNA is supposed to deal with the software compatibility issue.

This is the most important line in that article:

Microsoft hopes that the introduction of XNA will help standardize development on both platforms--to such an extent that "you won't have to choose between Xbox or PC" to develop games...and, ideally, so that players won't have to choose between the two platforms to play these games.

Making hardware compatible isn't that tough, software is the biatch and the most important part.

I get that part. But that is from a development standpoint, not an end user standpoint.

Portability being the word.

As for hardware, it's not THAT easy. What if you could use ANY PC controller on your Xbox 2, without any adapter or incompatibilities with games? Not all adapters work properly with every game, and it's not necessarily the adapters fault either, but rather the way the input method was coded for a particular game.

Still, you could be right, and it could be interoperable software between systems. And it rather makes good business sense. Didn't MS lose money on Xbox Hardware sales?

In the end, if it's software, it's just another ploy for them to try and standardize an industry area to THEIR standards. Something that doesn't please me........MS sucks.

Edited by IJTF_Cinder

Yeah, all the profits are from games. People who would buy the consoles wouldn't necessarily get a super fast PC. Those with super fast PCs can still play the games so it's not much loss for MS.

All this compatiblity will be taken care of in Longhorn...they'll make sure it works. I don't mind ports at all, but I don't like it when PC games are dumbed down for consoles. I just have a bad feeling that's what's going to happen.

And this PC Level system is just stupid...PC change all the time so will this system be relative or will they just keep adding levels? Level 10 in one year can be Level 2 the next year, so stupid.

The only problem I have with all this is tht Microsoft is trying to make that XNA SDK a standard for all consoles. "Make your PS3 games with our software."

SONY's not going to fall for that though are they? :blink:

They better. I wanna see massive suits in the future.

The only problem I have with all this is tht Microsoft is trying to make that XNA SDK a standard for all consoles. "Make your PS3 games with our software."

what, lawsuits?

what, lawsuits?

Maybe he means big suits like David Byrne's from Talking Heads.

bigsuit.jpg

what, lawsuits?

Corperate rivaleries are the best dude.