The Paul (From Tekken) Judo/Not Judo Thing

Daeval

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought of contributing something now that this topic is open again...

Wasn't it K´dash who said that fighting styles based loose on their real arts? In contrast some of you say that it's the moves are exactly the same... So which one is it? Or is it something the developers just pick?

Refer to some of my previous posts that relate to fighting game history if you want to go a little more in-depth but basically, they were all naive and attempted to look kind of real without going the whole hog and RESEARCHING fully a style they may have initially taken influence from.

Nowadays Namco and Sega have universally accepted that real fighting styles (researched as fully as possible, but still with moves that may contradict the style in question) are the way to go. All new fighting game characters since Virtua Fighter 3 try and outdo other fighting series' characters by coming up with a style that hasn't yet been done. They will basically start with the art/fighting style to be used and build the character design around that (sumo wrestling for Taka-Arashi, shaolin kung-fu for Lei Fei, aikido for Aoi, Capoeira for Eddy etcetera). Sega's character designs are specifically left as generic as possible, looking as much like a real user of the art and less like a 'character design' than other games would attempt. (Tekken by contrast adds stylised touches to its character designs, so for example a tae kwon do user (Hwoarang) wouldn't necessarily look exactly like a real one, this makes sense as Tekken doesn't stick as closely to real styles and never has done preferring a 'dramatised' version of reality).

2D fighter's are starting to reflect true styles far more in the advent of the waves made by Tekken and Virtua Fighter, that they never used to do. The technical edge of Karin, Elena's capoeira influence, Dudley (far truer to boxing than his predecessor M.Bison), Makoto's realistic representation of traditional Karate etcetera

Anyway, the styles are never EXACTLY like real ones, but a varying amount of their moves are from the art in question, normally less for Tekken, more for VF. :shootem:

Edited by shin_nihon_kikaku

/me thinks you guys read to deeply into a simple frickin fighting GAME, like who gives a damn? :shootem:

They do apparently. This is why I just stick to inconsistant storylines now.

/me thinks you guys read to deeply into a simple frickin fighting GAME, like who gives a damn? :shootem:

I do, because I create games, I don't just play them for fun.

I'm working on the preliminary stages of a fighting game and have been all through the summer. Information like this is REQUIRED to even attempt such a thing with any degree of success. Analysis might seem boring to you, but it is my life.

It's ok for someone to make topics about who is the strongest street fighter, the naruto storyline, cannon guide discussion, or make polls about who would win Ryu or ken. But it's not ok to make topics about a characters fighting style in a video game?

It's ok for someone to make topics about who is the strongest street fighter, the naruto storyline, cannon guide discussion, or make polls about who would win Ryu or ken. But it's not ok to make topics about a characters fighting style in a video game?

I don't see anyone stating this.

This thread started out as nothing more than a personal attack on the opinion of someone else, did you not read the first post? It looks like nothing more than flame inciting. Had I been here when it was started, I probably would have put a lock on it and thrown away the key.

It's you that didn't read the first post Cinder, the first post in THIS particular thread isn't the first in this argument. You would need to read our debate in the best boxer poll first. He made this a topic of its own to keep the boxer poll separate.

He wasn't just dissing me and my opinions, nor I him, he was just continuing our debate. There was no anger in these discussions (on my part at least).

Edited by shin_nihon_kikaku

I don't see anyone stating this.

This thread started out as nothing more than a personal attack on the opinion of someone else, did you not read the first post? It looks like nothing more than flame inciting. Had I been here when it was started, I probably would have put a lock on it and thrown away the key.

Right, what SNK said. This was a debate started in another thread, and continued here to keep the other thread from going any further off topic. There was no flame involved as the stage had already been set for discussion. I can see where that wouldn't be apparent if you hadn't seen the other thread though.

Me too. Well said mate (although I basically said it first) :shootem:.