DS Price Tag and Shipping Date

Wizard

Read about it here.

10/21, close to the speculation date that MMcafe gave me (which was 10/30) and for $149 USD. Also comes with Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt.

Great head start there Nintendo :lol: (omg I used this emote)

Edit: 10/21 in the U.S. 12/1 in Japan, Unknown for Europe.

Edited by K`dash

And for those that don't know yet, there is a DS emulator being made called DSemu. It doesn't emulating anything pertaining to the DS but it's a good start. And the DS tech docs are floating around somewhere...perhaps the No$GBA team can get their hands on it and do something magnificent with it. :lol:

In an early morning teleconference today, Nintendo executives Reggie Fils-Aime, George Harrison, and Perrin Kaplan announced additional details on the launch of the Nintendo DS. Most importantly, Fils-Aime revealed that Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt, a playable demo of the upcoming DS title, will be bundled in with each Nintendo DS system sold this fall.

Metroid Prime: Hunters, a first-person shooter featuring four-player wireless multiplayer, will feature a number of improvements over the E3 version. As Nintendo's software impresario Shigeru Miyamoto said in an E3 interview, the final game will feature a standard D-pad-and-buttons control scheme in addition to the stylus control shown off at E3. First Hunt should reflect this as well. "We've improved the playability and have done different things from the player control standpoint," said Fils-Aime this morning. "The game has changed modestly for the better."

As for further details on the software launch lineup, Fils-Aime revealed this morning that Nintendo will show off the launch lineup to "key media and analysts" at a Gamers' Summit to be held in Seattle in the first week of October. At this time, details on software pricing and launch games will be revealed; Nintendo was tight-lipped on the subject this morning, stating only that a total of 120 games, from both Nintendo and third parties, are currently in development. Also, as stated in the press release last night, PictoChat, the DS' own drawing-and-text-based chat utility, will be embedded in the DS hardware so all DS users will be able to chat wirelessly with each other--right out of the box.

Nintendo will reveal software pricing at a later date, but did state for now that the business model for DS software is "more attractive" to third parties than the GBA, which suggests a lower price point. Also suggesting a lower price point for DS media is the fact that a demo cartridge is packed in with the hardware. DS media was again confirmed to be 1 gigabit in size.

George Harrison then addressed the marketing efforts that will be undertaken for the DS launch. Over 12,000 interactive DS demo units will be placed in mass-market and specialty stores. Some units, he commented, will actually feature two DS systems so that players can experiment with the wireless functionality.

Harrison went on to comment that the DS will be backed by the largest launch budget that Nintendo has put behind any of its platforms, console or handheld--$40 million. Harrison also announced that the number of DS units that will be available across all territories during the fiscal year (which ends in March 2005) will be 4 million, which has been revised up from the previously quoted figure of 3.5 million. Nintendo did not give specifics as to how this would be split across the four territories (US, Japan, Europe, Australia) in which Nintendo plans to launch the system before the end of FY2004.

Fils-Aime also briefly commented on the PSP; more specifically, the lack of any announcement by Sony at its press conference today in Japan concerning details of the system's launch. "In many ways, what has transpired overnight does not surprise us. There has been a lack of detailed info on PSP for quite some time, and we expect that to continue as they deal with their tough issues on battery life and other challenges."

As previously reported, the Nintendo DS will launch in the US on November 21 and in Japan on December 3, marking the first time that Nintendo has ever released game hardware outside of Japan first. The reasoning behind the launch is that the US and Japanese holiday shopping seasons are slightly different; Japanese holiday shopping is generally centered around New Year's. The price in the US will be $149.99.

Nintendo revealed a few more miscellaneous details--the system will only launch in the silver/black color shown in currently available pictures, although more colors will probably be added later; battery life is 6-10 hours depending on application; and Game Boy/GB Color games will not be backwards compatible with the DS, although all Game Boy Advance games will work with the system in single-player mode.

an update to the original article also at gamespot and i gotta say its disappointing to hear that it won't support gb/gbc but i guess i'll just have to keep the gba sp for those.

Hey, some backwards compatibility is better than none...I just hope Microsoft decides to make that move (even then I'll probably still won't get a Xeon). DS is coming out WAY faster than I expected, being bundled no less...flockin' sweet...I'm gonna hve to look into it.

I think it sucks.

If it was 100$ and came with the game...maybe. But the idea of having two screens sucks. If I can hit all the buttons at once I've no need for it. I would need an entire third hand to move the stylus around, which I can't do in class, which much defeats the purpose of the handheld system.

PSP < DS  ;)

Fixed it for you.

IMO, the DS will be a big hit in Japan and a medicore worldwide. It's Xbox Syndrom.

Notice how the Xbox isn't popular in Japan yet it is else where?

Edited by K`dash