Should i get this combo?

Ryuken

http://www.microcenter.com/specials/promo_offers.html

it's an amd athlon64 and a mother board for just $219.99 but i don't if das a great deal or not plus i don't have that much money yet but my mom can help me out on that so should i get this?

does the board really matters? will it slow things down if it's not a good board?

Yes the motherboard will affect your systems performance. Put the exact same processor on two different motherboards and you will get different benchmarks for the system. It would be in your best interest to research the motherboard benchmark test results for any of the models you are looking at. I would say that your motherboard and your PSU are the two most important components in your PC. A bad board can bottleneck your entire system. And in regards to the PSU, the majority of systems that I have seen suffer irreparable damage are from cheap PSUs which short out and fry the whole system.

BTW: I'm amazed I thought I was the only person who shops at MicroCenter. Do you live in Ohio by chance?

Pricewatch for prices, but when I checking for a 9800Pro a while back, HALF THE PLACES THAT SELL IT FOR LESS THEN NORMAL BARELY HAD OR HAD NO international shipping + insurence.

Yes the motherboard will affect your systems performance.  Put the exact same processor on two different motherboards and you will get different benchmarks for the system.  It would be in your best interest to research the motherboard benchmark test results for any of the models you are looking at.  I would say that your motherboard and your PSU are the two most important components in your PC.  A bad board can bottleneck your entire system.  And in regards to the PSU, the majority of systems that I have seen suffer irreparable damage are from cheap PSUs which short out and fry the whole system.

BTW: I'm amazed I thought I was the only person who shops at MicroCenter.  Do you live in Ohio by chance?

Cleveland Ohio. u?

Cleveland Ohio. u?

I live in Columbus, OH. I actually work for MEI which is MicroCenter's parent company, so I get an employee discount on all my gear there. That is why I shop at MicroCenter so much. Good luck on your purchase. I'm actually building a new system right now too. I'm trying to decide between an Athalon64 and a P4EE.

AMD for Gaming, P4s for Office work.

I definately agree with that in regards to standard P4s but I was talking about P4EEs (Pentium 4 Extreme Editions). They're pretty much Xeons tweaked for gaming and in most gaming benchmark tests they perform at 125% of what a comparable Athlon64 does. Of course since they are just tweaked Xeons they have the price tag to reflect it. But the one thing I'm trying to take into consideration is how the Athlon will work on 64-bit OSs. My only experience with any 64-bit processor was with an older Itanium based system but I wasn't really able to mess with it enough to see the difference. But seeing as how RedHat operates in 64-bit and Longhorn will be 64-bit I'm really wondering if Athlon64s are worth it overall even if they don't benchmark as well on 32-bit OSs. What's your opinion K?