microsoft taking on sony..?

EDIT: And Sony do know how to promote their stuff. THeir advertisment is always top-of-the-world. I know, since I am working in Sony <_<

They do, but It's more than just "promotion" per se. It's the image that M$ has that makes the Xbox seem like more than just a "video game system" to non-gamers in their target market. Sony just doesn't have this working to their advantage right now. From my experience, XBox sells under the "home theatre" category almost as much as it does to the "video game system" people. The PS2 just isn't viewed the same way.

It's mostly features (PS2 users have to buy and install Network Adapters and Hard Drives. The A/V qualities are not nearly as played-up, etc) but it's also the way they advertise. M$ definately has the "get the guys together for a beer and a game" hook down in their marketing. Sony still caters primarily to "gamers."

Sony does have a potential advantage in that people are used to having Sony written all over the various Audio/Video devices that populate their living room, rather than just on the loading screen of the computer that crashes all the time. However, they have yet to really use the "Your DVD player's big brother" angle to hit the mainstream. Nevermind that "PSX" thing as it's primarily a DVR-type box, which is kind of a niche market in itself (for now).

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

EDIT: And Sony do know how to promote their stuff. THeir advertisment is always top-of-the-world. I know, since I am working in Sony <_<

They do, but It's more than just "promotion" per se. It's the image that M$ has that makes the Xbox seem like more than just a "video game system" to non-gamers in their target market. Sony just doesn't have this working to their advantage right now. From my experience, XBox sells under the "home theatre" category almost as much as it does to the "video game system" people. The PS2 just isn't viewed the same way.

It's mostly features (PS2 users have to buy and install Network Adapters and Hard Drives. The A/V qualities are not nearly as played-up, etc) but it's also the way they advertise. M$ definately has the "get the guys together for a beer and a game" hook down in their marketing. Sony still caters primarily to "gamers."

Sony does have a potential advantage in that people are used to having Sony written all over the various Audio/Video devices that populate their living room, rather than just on the loading screen of the computer that crashes all the time. However, they have yet to really use the "Your DVD player's big brother" angle to hit the mainstream. Nevermind that "PSX" thing as it's primarily a DVR-type box, which is kind of a niche market in itself (for now).

PSX flop big time. Sony has stopped all production for this model.

It is going to be in limited qty.

Although I might say the way M$ advertise XBOX at US do work wonder there,

the same cannot be said at world market. This kind of concept do not work in Asia,

especially Japan. And Sony brand name is quite strong.

And people is scared that M$ might monopoly another industry after capturing the PC market. (They forget that Sony is doing the same thing :lol: )

Everyone loves Nintendo, but it's easy for some to say they don't want "kids stuff" laying around their living room.

Compared to everything else. Nintendo's "kiddy stuff" really kicks ass. It's just advertised as something like that because of all the "E" games. Has anyone looked at the Metal Gear? The Resident Evil? That other game thats violent?

And if Ignition Entertainment (SNKP's Euro distributer) releases Metal Slug or anyother game on Gamecube, SNK U.S.A. might port them over, FOR THE GAMECUBE. EAT THAT M$!

Japanese Console Hardware Chart

System                  Sales this week / Total this year

GameBoy Advance SP  31,569 / 1,460,961

PlayStation 2              27,054 / 1,441,276

GameCube            5,544  / 402,619

GameBoy Advance    1,785 / 158,630

Xbox                            302  / 21,963

PSone                        253 / 12,184

Swan Crystal              146 /  6,073

The PSOne nearly sold as many units as the xbox in japan that week. <_<

Japanese Console Hardware Chart

System                     Sales this week / Total this year

GameBoy Advance SP  31,569 / 1,460,961

PlayStation 2                 27,054 / 1,441,276

GameCube               5,544  / 402,619

GameBoy Advance    1,785 / 158,630

Xbox                            302  / 21,963

PSone                           253 / 12,184

Swan Crystal                 146 /  6,073

The PSOne nearly sold as many units as the xbox in japan that week. <_<

Whoa, Xbox sold as much as PS1??!??

I wonder how M$ going to capture Japan market?

They must have been targeting US market only when they are boasting :lol:

Everyone loves Nintendo, but it's easy for some to say they don't want "kids stuff" laying around their living room.

Compared to everything else. Nintendo's "kiddy stuff" really kicks ass. It's just advertised as something like that because of all the "E" games. Has anyone looked at the Metal Gear? The Resident Evil? That other game thats violent?

And if Ignition Entertainment (SNKP's Euro distributer) releases Metal Slug or anyother game on Gamecube, SNK U.S.A. might port them over, FOR THE GAMECUBE. EAT THAT M$!

I really love Nint. the Gc is a great system with great games, people won't give it a try cause they think is directed only for kids, that's not true, i think their mistake is not full filling everybody needs as sony and MS does, their marketing sucks they should improve in this area and for the next gen. release a GREAT system.

L.S.D you said it yourself - that's the primary reason why Micro$oft is struggling. It's much easier for Sony to feed a well-established addiction than for Microsoft to turn people into junkies from scratch. Remeber, consistent software sales (not hardware) from repeat buyers makes these companies profitable.

The main reason the Xbox didn't sell well in Japan was because it was big, about the size of Japan it self. No doubt about it. The president of Xbox's Japanese Division said so him self.

The main reason the Xbox didn't sell well in Japan was because it was big, about the size of Japan it self. No doubt about it. The president of Xbox's Japanese Division said so him self.

then how come the gamecube doesn't outsell ps2?

actually it's pretty obvious, seeing the third-party mismatch (square enix vs. rare - oops, where did those sneaky Englishmen run off to?) but it's true that size does matter. It's just not the defining factor in the massive sales difference.

L.S.D you said it yourself - that's the primary reason why Micro$oft is struggling. It's much easier for Sony to feed a well-established addiction than for Microsoft to turn people into junkies from scratch. Remeber, consistent software sales (not hardware) from repeat buyers makes these companies profitable.

Err....darkmage, I didn't say that :P

Err....darkmage, I didn't say that :D

Yeah, that was me. :D

I agree about software being the money maker, but system sales do A LOT to promote software sales. That's why companies are willing to take hits on hardware almost from the get go. Even if Joe Usual doesn't drop his entire paycheck on games every week (although you'd be surprised how much these "casual gamers" spend), if the four games he buys this quarter are for your system, that's four games you have up on the competition. Not to mention accessory tie-ins like extra controllers or Live! or whatnot that Joe needs to enjoy his latest game. Once the system is in their hands, it adds up pretty quick.

Speaking strictly of the American market, M$ is closing the gap created by Sony's 1-Year head start quicker than I think most people expected. Maybe they aren't all hardcore gamers, but when the next round of systems comes out, chances are those "raised" on Xbox will be biased in their decision. XBox fanboys are absolutely rabid. :P